How do you feed your tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I was wondering, for people with smaller tortoises that are able to be picked up...do you move your tortoise to the food bowl( in their enclosure) when you make fresh food, or do you let the tortoise eat on their own? I have always moved my tortoise to the bowl so he gets the food fresh and it doesn't sit or go unnoticed. I have been thinking about decorating with more plants around his hide, but that means I wouldn't be able to lift up the hide to move my tortoise at each feeding....thoughts?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I usually just let my torts find it on their own, but at this point they usually are either waiting for me or come running when they hear me in the morning.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have always just let mine find it. I always feed in the same place, so he knows where to go and can eat when he wants. Don't forget, in the wild they would have to find their own food. Try to always think about them in the wild and do what you can to duplicate as much and as close. Besides, letting them get their lazy, slow butts up and walk over to eat gets them a little extra exercise. .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Mine graze naturally most of the time. If/when I do offer foods I normally just place the food in the enclosure and walk away. The Russians bolt to it immediately. They are little garbage disposals. My leopard will sometimes go it right away, other times leave it untouched all day. Occasionally I'll put the leopard to the food but it isn't often.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I always wait until he's up an moving then just put the food out and let him graze. He usually bolts strait to it.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I have a little leopard hatchling and I usually just put the food in the same area every day. Usually takes him about an hour and when he wakes up he wanders over and eats, but sometimes he doesn't eat until later in the night. The first few nights I had him, I set him down next to it so he could see where the food was, and he caught on really fast. I walk into my room later in the day and I see him eating so I know he has the way to the food dish down pat :)

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
If he's in his hide, I take him out and put him in front of his food. If he's out waiting for it, I'll just usually point him in the right direction, and he'll walk over. He's only 4 months old but is getting the hang of it.

Don't know if this would work-- Perhaps you could take them out of the hide, but place at a distance and facing the food. Then work them back farther each few days to the hide and wean them off you helping them.

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I hide the food every day at different places. For some pieces of food he has to climb or dig. This stimulates his natural behavior, and he has something to do. ;)

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I feed them at the precise time everyday, and they are always waiting by the bowl ready to eat lola.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
If they are inside I feed them right after their daily soak and they're usually running around looking for it. I dont always put it in the same spot and sometimes space it out. Depends on the day though.. but when I get home from work its always all gone

Status
Not open for further replies.