Getting food to stick to greens?

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
So I feed my tortoise grocery greens with something similar to zoomeds natural grassland tortoise food sprinkled over (I have the zoomed too, but I use this as I believe it to be a superior product). I have the problem that my tortoise, while eating her greens, will knock off most of the food I sprinkle on top and that just seems like a waste to me. Any way I could prepare the food so she would eat both? I'm hesitant of a bowl (I feed of a rock slate) as I don't want her beak to overgrow.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
The grassland stuff you can mix with water and make a mush. My Leopards won't eat it much. They like mazuri though. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've never found a way to make it not messy. I just use terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate to try and somewhat contain the mess and then wash the saucers off afterwards. In decades of tortoise keeping, I've never had one with an over grown beak.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
terra cotta sounds good, its rough so it will work the same as a stone slate. Will go pick up a terra cotta saucer tomorrow. I tried cutting the greens up today and it worked much better, looking good so far

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
SO I tried everything you guys suggested, worked like a charm. Thanks for the help.