Tortoises and their predators

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Rats, I had a toad that was living out in my backyard for the last couple of years was eaten by a rat one night and left the bones behind. I did kinda got attach to the toad since i saw him ever night sitting on our patio. I saw the rat climbing around on the top of our fence the night before.

Very unlikely that a rat ate a toad. What you saw was likely a coincidence.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dana, beach weather is great for people (I grew up near Manhattan/Hermosa), but not so good for tortoises. A Mediterranean species like the greeks or hermanns would likely do much better than a leopard in your climate, and fit your area much better too. Cold and clammy is not good for leopards. Having a dry heated box for them to sleep in at night and retreat to will help. Here are some boxes that I have built. You would just scale down the size for a smaller tortoise. 2x2' would be plenty big and then just lock them in at night to keep them safe.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-effective-night-box.86632/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
We are in San Clemente. Our backyard is kind of hidden so I don't think theft would be as big an issue as predators, which is why a secure enclosure is super important to me.

My Marine friend told me he saw bob cats at camp Pendelton couple times. You do need some sort of protection.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Adopting an adult leopard could be a great way to enjoy a backyard roaming tort without the delicate baby stages. ;)

I also locked all my torts into "tort houses" at night. In the evening before dark I made my rounds to lock the doors. Open them in the morning. I still do that for my leopard who sleeps in a heated house.

Heated for a Leopard
vyw8kz.jpg

Used for a CDT
30jkap4.jpg

Used for a Russian- see it in the back?
2yk1176.jpg

hope this helps :)
I LOVE the idea of adopting a grown Leopard. I will check online for rescues in So Cal. Your Tort housing is super!

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Dana, beach weather is great for people (I grew up near Manhattan/Hermosa), but not so good for tortoises. A Mediterranean species like the greeks or hermanns would likely do much better than a leopard in your climate, and fit your area much better too. Cold and clammy is not good for leopards. Having a dry heated box for them to sleep in at night and retreat to will help. Here are some boxes that I have built. You would just scale down the size for a smaller tortoise. 2x2' would be plenty big and then just lock them in at night to keep them safe.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-effective-night-box.86632/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
Hi Tom,
After completing a bit of reading I have come to the same conclusion and have started researching Hermanns and Greeks. I plan to attend the reptile show at the Anaheim Convention Center next month and might pick up a new family member there.

Flipper

MO, USA
I have a Hermann tortoise that's almost a year old and she is so much fun and tons of personality :) I highly recommend :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,
After completing a bit of reading I have come to the same conclusion and have started researching Hermanns and Greeks. I plan to attend the reptile show at the Anaheim Convention Center next month and might pick up a new family member there.

Fantastic. I might see you there then. I hope Tyler can make it and set up his Tortoisesupply.com booth. That would be a fantastic place for you to look as he usually has all the species you are interested in and he takes very good care of them.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Fantastic. I might see you there then. I hope Tyler can make it and set up his Tortoisesupply.com booth. That would be a fantastic place for you to look as he usually has all the species you are interested in and he takes very good care of them.

I've been snooping around Tyler's site for the past two weeks and he seems to really care about the animals which scores major points with me.

Looking forward to the show too!

LoriS

5 Year Member
Great pictures. I am also debating on Russian/Greek or Cali Dessert. I live in Oceanside, California. I want one to roam my big backyard, and will house it in a converted dog house at night. My question is could I simply but the tortoise in the dog house at night in the garage? return to big backyard during day in Southern Cali??

Thanks again for info!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Lori
I'm sorry but it's my apinoin . I have Russians and greeks and AZdesert torts . I cannt think why you wouldn't pick CDT you can get one but there are 49 other states that people can only wish to have a CDT . Again I'm sorry and I know it's only my apinoin that they are so special and so limited . But good luck with your choice .

Mommabear

Ventura Co. CA
The beach can be foggy for long periods which gets everything wet and cold. I'm about 10 miles inland from the beach and it is a completely different climate. Dry,dry, dry and warm. Wish my plants had the fog for the water bill :confused:. Although our CDT wouldn't thrive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great pictures. I am also debating on Russian/Greek or Cali Dessert. I live in Oceanside, California. I want one to roam my big backyard, and will house it in a converted dog house at night. My question is could I simply but the tortoise in the dog house at night in the garage? return to big backyard during day in Southern Cali??

Thanks again for info!

How close to the coast are you? CDTs do NOT do well on the coast. A greek or hermanns tortoise might suit your area better. They are better suited for the cooler temps and damp air, but even they will need some help with housing.

Also, converted dog houses don't work well for tortoises. The design just isn't right. Best to buy or build something yourself that is better suited to the needs of a tortoise.

LoriS

5 Year Member
Thank you all! Great info.
I will look into building ; )
CDT sounds great, they ALL DO!!!
Lori

LoriS

5 Year Member
Ok, the Greek or Hermanns according to Tom. Will keep researching. Hoping to go through the San Diego Rescue. Thank you all again!!!!!!