Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
In an effort to get my two russian torts more exposure to sun light, as well as a periodic break from each other, I recently bought a 36" x 24" raised garden box to go on my 2nd story balcony. It's a wooden planter box on legs and is about 24" high. My plan is to use this as a tortoise food garden and an outdoor enclosure during the day while I'm at work.

We definitely have plenty of nocturnal predators outside my appartment including racoons, skunks, and opossum. Do you think I need to be concerned about diurnal predation on my balcony? The only thing I could see being a potential issue would be avian predators. The larger tortoise is about 4.5 inches long (estimating) and weighs 170 grams. The smaller is about 3 inches long and weighs 60 grams. Would you recommend some sort of screened top? How likely is diurnal predation on a second floor balcony?

Thanks!

Patrick

M

Maggie Cummings

I always worry about birds and protect my tortoises from them...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Just my 2cents. Even though they may be to big to carry off, a bigger bird like a crow could peck at them and stress them out & cause damage.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A screen top will not hurt anything.

The lack of a top COULD lead to disaster.

I would worry about shade and heat too. Outdoors is really really good for them, but it is not with out its risks too.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Tom said:
A screen top will not hurt anything.

The lack of a top COULD lead to disaster.

I would worry about shade and heat too. Outdoors is really really good for them, but it is not with out its risks too.

The area on the balcony gets direct sun for about 3-4 hours during the day. The rest of the time it's shaded by the building. I figured I would provide appropriate shade in addition but I'm thinking that's a good amount of direct sun. I'll have to look into constructing some sort of top that won't interfere with plant growth and will remain aesthetically pleasing enough for my wife.

Thanks!

Patrick

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hold on now! That's a question of a whole other magnitude...

Functional AND aesthetically pleasing to the wife? Whoa... that's a tough one. I'm afraid I'm no help at all here, but good luck Patrick. :D

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Tom said:
Hold on now! That's a question of a whole other magnitude...

Functional AND aesthetically pleasing to the wife? Whoa... that's a tough one. I'm afraid I'm no help at all here, but good luck Patrick. :D

I know, I might be in over my head!

Thanks.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
pdelpizzo said:
In an effort to get my two russian torts more exposure to sun light, as well as a periodic break from each other, I recently bought a 36" x 24" raised garden box to go on my 2nd story balcony. It's a wooden planter box on legs and is about 24" high. My plan is to use this as a tortoise food garden and an outdoor enclosure during the day while I'm at work.

We definitely have plenty of nocturnal predators outside my appartment including racoons, skunks, and opossum. Do you think I need to be concerned about diurnal predation on my balcony? The only thing I could see being a potential issue would be avian predators. The larger tortoise is about 4.5 inches long (estimating) and weighs 170 grams. The smaller is about 3 inches long and weighs 60 grams. Would you recommend some sort of screened top? How likely is diurnal predation on a second floor balcony?

Thanks!

Patrick

Make a screened top out of 1/2" hardware cloth w/ a wooden frame...better safe than sorry.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
[/quote]

Make a screened top out of 1/2" hardware cloth w/ a wooden frame...better safe than sorry.
[/quote]

And you could add a 1"x10" (for example) on one side of the screen to stabilize the frame and add some shade on one end.
I know, stain the frame, that will help it look good! and put a plant on it...
You can do it!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
does the raised planter have wood legs which cause it to be 24 inches high ....I believe that is what you mean ....how about if you put the thing together then instead of using the wooden legs as legs you could mount them inside against each corner .... then you would be able to attach fencing/barrier around the sides and also on top and would be able to build/attach all to the wooden legs?????? you could place pretty pavers under each corner to raise it from setting directly on the floor....?
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.