Tortoise Wheel: An Unexpected Success!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Sapphire needs one however I can do it. ๐Ÿค— That'll take a bit of brain storming to set it up though. I've seen him walk up a wall or be a tortoise wedgie in his furniture. I've seen him hanging by a claw from his hardware cloth lid ๐Ÿ˜ญ maybe it'll keep him busy in a way where I don't find him in a ridiculous predicament. Upside down tortoises are pretty much screwed.

myk

London ontario
I've used the rubberized stair treads for something similar for my bunnies to run across. And since they're flexible and would stick to something like that may help the wheel be more useful for a tortoise. I worry about a slippery surface also for all my animals
I get those self sticking non slip stickers, like black sandpaper,,for where I step on the boat and tops of trailer fenders, they probably work great,,my girl walks her perimeter for hours banging the walls,,put my hand in and she comes running wanting me to lift her but out lol,so I do fir a couple hours,

myk

London ontario
I've used the rubberized stair treads for something similar for my bunnies to run across. And since they're flexible and would stick to something like that may help the wheel be more useful for a tortoise. I worry about a slippery surface also for all my animals
I get those self sticking non slip stickers, like black sandpaper,,for where I step on the boat and tops of trailer fenders, they probably work great,,my girl walks her perimeter for hours banging the walls,,put my hand in and she comes running wanting me to lift her but out lol,so I do fir a couple hours

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
I really like this idea! My Hermann's tortoise frequently tries to climb the walls of his enclosure, even though he has space to wander. A larger wheel (or treadmill) just might help him burn off some of that energy. I don't think a regular hamster wheel would work, though, since he's about 7" (18 cm) long and about 5" (13 cm) wide...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I get those self sticking non slip stickers, like black sandpaper,,for where I step on the boat and tops of trailer fenders, they probably work great,,my girl walks her perimeter for hours banging the walls,,put my hand in and she comes running wanting me to lift her but out lol,so I do fir a couple hours
That's what I did but I can't think of what they're called. Mine were for stairs but like heavy sandpaper. They would stick to the large childs doll house I used for a play area for my bunny and cat. (It cost me about a Dollar at a goodwill). The treads cost me more๐Ÿ˜€. I.placed the treads across areas they could run across for a fun nail file ๐Ÿ˜€

Reactions: myk

myk

London ontario
That's what I did but I can't think of what they're called. Mine were for stairs but like heavy sandpaper. They would stick to the large childs doll house I used for a play area for my bunny and cat. (It cost me about a Dollar at a goodwill). The treads cost me more๐Ÿ˜€. I.placed the treads across areas they could run across for a fun nail file ๐Ÿ˜€
I just call them non slip stickers thingies, lol,

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just call them non slip stickers thingies, lol,
I always have to say you know that thingy that does this or that. Then they think I'm a dummy just because I don't know what it's called specifically ๐Ÿ˜œ and well I guess all that matters is I totally understand what it can do.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ sometimes ๐Ÿ˜œ

• Love
Reactions: myk

myk

London ontario
I always have to say you know that thingy that does this or that. Then they think I'm a dummy just because I don't know what it's called specifically ๐Ÿ˜œ and well I guess all that matters is I totally understand what it can do.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ sometimes ๐Ÿ˜œ
Hey pass me that thing. You know the thingy,,over there, that thingy, lol,n don't forget the whatchamacallit,

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Wheel of persistence is still very popular I have ordered the shower antislip tape so will get that on tomorrow. Thanks for the hints and tips to make this better.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wow that's incredible!
I like the fact its wooden with grips and not the sort that claws that could get trapped in. I suppose he's not fast enough to tip himself over in it but do you only let him use it while you're there to keep an eye on him - just in case?

_The_Beast_

Canada
Wow that's incredible!
I like the fact its wooden with grips and not the sort that claws that could get trapped in. I suppose he's not fast enough to tip himself over in it but do you only let him use it while you're there to keep an eye on him - just in case?
It's in his vivarium 24/7 and no risk of flipping. Tort cannot go anywhere close to fast enough to do a 'hamster-style' flip and I have the wheel lowered to be quite close to level with the substrate + medium sized rocks to help with getting in and out :) The real risk is what happens when the wheel is befouled mid-exercise. Pee is fine, not super messy, but the poops! Ah, now that's where the real risk can be found...