Tortoise VS Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
Dont know if this should go into OT but I have people ask me all the time since they know I have torts "whats the difference?" I know the basics like turtles are usually omniverous and usually live or swim in water but there has to be more to this. I've looked it up but found minimal answers and always trust Tortoise people more anyway.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the basic rule that I know of is tortoises are usually land and turtles are usually water or both land and water.

Flametorch

5 Year Member
I have seen redfoots swimming though; yet their not necessarily turtles, right? They're even ominivorus

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, its a matter of what country you live in. For instance, in Australia, where they have no native land turtles, their water turtles are called tortoises.

Here in the states, a chelonian with webbed feet is called a turtle and a chelonian with little elephant feet is called a tortoise. The exception to this rule is the box turtle.

Yvonne

S

stells

You ready for this....

Just pretend its the back feet....

Tortoise...
tortoiseturtleseaturtle002.jpg

Turtle... (including Box Turtles)
tortoiseturtleseaturtle001.jpg

Sea Turtle...
tortoiseturtleseaturtle003.jpg

Excuse my hands.... they aren't the best part of me lol

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Just like we learned :D and you have very nice hands :)

Danny

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That was a great visual display of the differences! Thanks, Kelly, it made me giggle!

Allegra

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Scientifically speaking, a true tortoise is a member of the Family Testudinidae- a branch of the Order Testudines, or turtles, so all tortoises are indeed turtles, but not all turtles are tortoises. To avoid the confusion of 'turtle', we often use 'chelonian' to refer to all shelled reptiles

The true tortoises are primarily identified by elephantine legs- no exposed toes or flippers on any limb (like the very nice visuals presented earlier). Other physical characteristics include the thick, domed carapace (except the Pancake Tortoise), and a whole slew of things in the skeleton and skull.

Behaviorally, tortoises do not hide, hunt, eat, or mate in the water although some species can swim nicely. Of course, there are land-loving turtles that that fit some or all of the behavioral issues.

What makes things confusing is the common usage of the term changes based on where you are.

USA- uses it pretty much for true tortoises
Europe- uses it for many land-dwelling chelonians, including Box Turtles
Australia- uses it for land chelonians as well as for some native fresh-water turtles

It gets really interesting when you add the term 'terrapin' to the mix, especially since terrapin is not technically a scientific term.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Brilliant as usual Madkins... I usually tell people that torts are turts, but not all turts are torts... but that just seems to confuse them until I explain further

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Excuse my hands.... they aren't the best part of me lol
[/quote]

Hah, I just think Kelly is showing off with her camera...sort of a "nanner nanner" at those of us less skilled in the use of technology.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have never seen pics of that type of tortoise/turtle before. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.