TORTOISE VICTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachaelbramwell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi there,my tortoise victor who is 12 years old has had a puffy neck for 5 weeks now,he has had a visit to the vets because he was stood on which broke his nail right back to the nerve endings his nail is growing back but has been on antibiotics in case it was an infection that made him puffy,he has finished his course and all though it has reduced in size it is still slightly puffy.the vet has mentioned to have a blood test done but i am reluctant as they said they will take it by going threw his shell, if anyone has any advice on this please help. thank you Rachael

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Sorry to hear what your tortoises is dealing with, I have never had to deal with anything like that. Hopefully someone who has will be able to answer your question...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome Rachael.

I would be very surprised if a blood test were taken through the shell; it's pretty much impossible. Blood tests are normally taken by putting the needle into the flesh at the top of a leg. It causes no more discomfort or problems than it would if you had a sample taken.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachael:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

I'm sorry about your tortoise. By "stood on" do you mean someone stepped on his foot?

I don't know why the tortoise is retaining water, but I would certainly pay attention to the vet. He has seen the tortoise in person, while we haven't even seen a picture of it. JoesMum is correct. They don't go through the shell to get blood. They can even get a sample from cutting a toenail off (minimum pain and quickly done).

rachaelbramwell

5 Year Member
UK
Hi again and thank you for your comments sorry i have not explained myself correctly, yes i do mean someone stepped on his foot,we live in the uk, victor is a horsefield tortoise,i am trying to find how to send you a picture but cannot find how to (i.m new to all this )lol it is the skin around his head that is puffy hope this helps you help me. Thanks again Rachael

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Rachael, how are you trying to send the pictures? I have my best luck placing them in photobucket (some use tinypics instead) and then place them here.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
rachaelbramwell said:
dont laugh lol where is the bucket?

I am not laughing, we all had to learn sometime, I just happened to learn before you. ;) Try Photobucket.com.

rachaelbramwell

5 Year Member
UK
Jacqui said:
rachaelbramwell said:
dont laugh lol where is the bucket?

I am not laughing, we all had to learn sometime, I just happened to learn before you. ;) Try Photobucket.com

ok will do i dont no how long this will take mind lol thanks for your help

ok will do i dont no how long this will take mind lol thanks for your help

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you still have problems, come back and just ask. Everybody in here is usually more then happy to help.

rachaelbramwell

5 Year Member
UK
emysemys said:
Hi Rachael:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

I'm sorry about your tortoise. By "stood on" do you mean someone stepped on his foot?

I don't know why the tortoise is retaining water, but I would certainly pay attention to the vet. He has seen the tortoise in person, while we haven't even seen a picture of it. JoesMum is correct. They don't go through the shell to get blood. They can even get a sample from cutting a toenail off (minimum pain and quickly done).

Hi I have managed to put a picture of Victors neck, any ideas?
Thanks Rachael

Attachments

• 100_1947.JPG
    100_1947.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Hello Rachael and Welcome. To my untrained eyes, the neck looks fine. How does it look with the neck stretched out?

rachaelbramwell

5 Year Member
UK
Hello and thanks, his neck is skinny but still has a puffy bit on the top.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
what diet are you giving him ... I know I've seen some that give them lettuce and that's it and they retain water , and are you soaking him every other day o evey day?

rachaelbramwell

5 Year Member
UK
Hello yes he does have letace along with cabbage,spring onions,broccoli,cress,cucumber,carrot,parsnip,dandillions,pancys,rose petals,chick weed,vitamin and mineral pellats and baths daily sometimes twice.

would you not feed lettuce at all then?

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
(lettuce)water,(cabbage) water,(spring onion) water,(broccoli) alright sometimes, even though it has alot of vitamin c and calcium it has alot of water in it also , (cress)great, (cucumber)water, (carrot)good some times,(parsnip)carrot like just sweeter, good sometimes , (dandelions)great ,(pansies) great , (rose petals)ok , (chickweed)great ... yea lettuce has no nutritional value at all ... same with cabbage and spring onions they are nothing but water and flavor ... dandelions are great collard greens, mustard greens , kale are also great .... i wouldnt cut out the broccoli completely just dont give it to him evey day ... but im thinking if you cut back some of the water intake the puffiness will go away ...

Status
Not open for further replies.