Tortoise type help

Tvansant

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland, USA
Hi,
I'm wondering what type of tortoise I have here ? From the Maryland area of the US.
Any help would be great since I'm new to this.

Thanks so much
Tracy

A73F06F5-F46A-4E7B-AC21-0A8C2189132C.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't have a tortoise there. Its a turtle.

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
Oh really ? That's weird !! Could be a pet and someone else found it then put it in the mail ?

daniellenc

Maryland
I have no clue and google is not all knowing but says no three toeds here. On his back legs how many toes does he have?

daniellenc

Maryland
Soaks stimulate appetite. I always soak then feed at night. Mornings he gets misted and food but I have a red foot tortoise so different care.

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
I have no clue and google is not all knowing but says no three toeds here. On his back legs how many toes does he have?
So I was trying to take a picture and his back feet are different I noticed. It's like he has a club foot ? I think the one foot has 4 toes ? The other has some underdeveloped toes ? He just got in the water again
Soaks stimulate appetite. I always soak then feed at night. Mornings he gets misted and food but I have a red foot tortoise so different care.
i fed him too. Pellets and sweet potato and grated carrots

IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0576.JPG

daniellenc

Maryland
Looks like three toes but bury the water dish now it a tipping hazard. Shells mean they can't bend and s/he could fall in. If you can bury it level to the ground I'd be perfect.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi:

You have a baby box turtle, and it's probably an eastern (Terrapene carolina carolina), and more than likely a protected species (I'm not sure about this, just a guess, because I don't know Maryland's regs on turtles).

Baby box turtles dehydrate very easily, so it must be kept in a warm, humid environment. I keep my baby box turtles' substrate quite wet, with puddles all over.

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
Looks like three toes but bury the water dish now it a tipping hazard. Shells mean they can't bend and s/he could fall in. If you can bury it level to the ground I'd be perfect.
Ok !! thanks so much !! I will bury that for sure !! I posted a few mor pix of his one foot. I hope his foot is going to be ok. It really looks different than the other foot. worried !!!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I don't believe you have a Three-Toed Box Turtle there.That is most likely an Eastern Box Turtle as Yvonne said. I used to live in MD and found lots of them there. The young Eastern Boxies sometimes don't have as much color as they will as adults.

Tvansant

Maryland, USA
I don't believe you have a Three-Toed Box Turtle there.That is most likely an Eastern Box Turtle as Yvonne said. I used to live in MD and found lots of them there. The young Eastern Boxies sometimes don't have as much color as they will as adults.
ok thanks !! I wonder about her foot, she seems to get around ok and it doesn't bother her.