Species/ shell question

jazminevance

Location (City and/or State)
OHIO
Hi all!
This is my first post on here! I'm trying to figure out what kind of box turtle I have. I inherited her from my aunt. Also, her shell seems to be a bit dry. Is there anything I can do to help her? Im new at this, I need all the advice I can get!

83A04985-A980-43B4-806E-B5F6562B665A.jpegimage.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well...It looks like a 3-toed (T.c.triunguis) to me. They are semi-aquatic and enjoy being in water...I use a frisbee or a paint roller pan for them. The beak is too long, needs trim, ...They like fruit, protein( worms, slugs, and other gookie stuff.)nAnd they seriously like being outside with a water pool....

jazminevance

OHIO
Well...It looks like a 3-toed (T.c.triunguis) to me. They are semi-aquatic and enjoy being in water...I use a frisbee or a paint roller pan for them. The beak is too long, needs trim, ...They like fruit, protein( worms, slugs, and other gookie stuff.)nAnd they seriously like being outside with a water pool....
Thank you!! What is the safest way to trim?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Maggie, you have a three toed box turtle. The beak is a little long but not terrible. You can use a dremel high speed tool to trim a little at a time. Another option that might work well with that particular beak shape is to offer food on an abrasive surface like the backside of a ceramic tile. As it eats, the long part of the beak will rub across the rough surface.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Also, this is what I learned here in Oregon...My exotic Vet charges $110 to trim a beak...she's also an avian Vet which gave me an idea...My right hand doesn't work good so I can't hold a dremel, so I went to my local mom and pop pet store which sells a lot of birds and asked about beak trims. The owner also sells and has tortoises and he will trim a turtle beak for $5...does a good job too...can't hurt to ask around...

jazminevance

OHIO
My turtle actually let me file hers down with a nail file! I was surprised she wasn’t upset, and I put a cuttlebone in her tank which she has already went to town on haha.
What is your all favorite type of substrate to use? right now I have a cypress mulch in there and will spray as it gets dry. Is this okay? I think I have her feeding all together. She loves dried crickets, meal worms, fresh strawberries, lettuce, and tomatoes. I think I will get a calcium powder to sprinkle on her food.
I also need tips to control humidity

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because box turtles are diggers, I like to use potting soil mixed with small grade orchid (fir) bark. Once you've added water (I pour a whole pitcherful) to the substrate, and cover the top of the enclosure, you won't have any trouble keeping it humid in there. A few real plants help too.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My turtle actually let me file hers down with a nail file! I was surprised she wasn’t upset, and I put a cuttlebone in her tank which she has already went to town on haha.
What is your all favorite type of substrate to use? right now I have a cypress mulch in there and will spray as it gets dry. Is this okay? I think I have her feeding all together. She loves dried crickets, meal worms, fresh strawberries, lettuce, and tomatoes. I think I will get a calcium powder to sprinkle on her food.

Wow...I'm impressed with that filing. I use fine grade orchid bark for substrate...and I don't worry about humidity for box turtles. For their indoor winter housing I provide several water stations...paint roller pan, Frisbee's, plant pot saucers
and the like. I don't worry about humidity for the box turtles, I keep the soil sorta wet, they have water sources to drink, soak, poop, and sleep. Outside their pen is alongside one Sulcata pen with a hand dug pool for the Sulcata that lived there. Now it's for the box turtles all spring and summer...because I live in a rural area with critters I bring them in at night...024.JPG

jazminevance

OHIO
Because box turtles are diggers, I like to use potting soil mixed with small grade orchid (fir) bark. Once you've added water (I pour a whole pitcherful) to the substrate, and cover the top of the enclosure, you won't have any trouble keeping it humid in there. A few real plants help too.
Thank you for great information!!