Tortoise suggestions - Michigan

MIReptilian

Location (City and/or State)
Metamora, Michigan
Folks, new member here doing a bunch of preemptive reading and research trying narrow down my search for a family tortoise.

We live in Michigan, in a rural area on 11 acres of property. The summers are hot and humid (cant go outside without sweating) and the winters can be brutally cold (negitive teens) and snowy. We have a 2000 sqft basement that I plan on building an indoor enclosure in, and could build one or more large outdoor habitats on our property. Space is not a concern.

Initially I had my heart set on getting an Eastern box turtle because I felt like they may ba able to cope a bit better with our temp swings here in MI. Then I started researching redfoots, hermanns, and leopards. A medium sized tortoise would be great, but I want them to be comfortable in the environment here.

Given the above, can anyone offer up some suggestions? Should I focus on a eastern box or consider some of the others? What about difference in care. I probably dont want to start off with a tortoise that's considered high maintenance. Which is right for me?

Ps. I hoping to use this tortoise as a learning experience for my young boys. I hope to teach proper care, habitat, feeding as well as routine cleaning and good animal husbandry.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Jeff