Michigan Reptile shows - Your experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Has anyone been to any of the Michigan reptile shows? Talking about the Kalamazoo and Taylor ones specifically. Or any others that I haven't heard of.

I have honestly never been to a reptile show here and was wondering peoples experiences at these.

Were they small? Did they have a wide variety of reptiles there? Trying to decide if it's worth a 1-3 hour drive and admission, especially with the rising gas prices. Not necessarily buying anything, but would like to see how things go.

Looking at the vendor lists, I don't see turtles or tortoises even listed. But I have to imagine someone there has them.

Or if anyone can recommend some shows in other states close to Michigan. I'm near Detroit and don't want to drive more than 3 hours.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Never been, and for the reasons you listed - too far, gas is too much, and I am afraid it won't be worth it.

For me it is actually cheaper (and less wear and tear on my vehicle) to buy online and pay shipping than to drive 5 hours to Taylor. So I have kind of gotten into that rut ;)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
kyryah said:
Never been, and for the reasons you listed - too far, gas is too much, and I am afraid it won't be worth it.

For me it is actually cheaper (and less wear and tear on my vehicle) to buy online and pay shipping than to drive 5 hours to Taylor. So I have kind of gotten into that rut ;)

Ya, you do live in the boonies up there :p.

If they had a lot of vendors I wouldn't mind to just see it. But when I was googling things some people said they had like 15 vendors at the Taylor show. I wasn't expecting that low of a count even in Michigan.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Always expect the worst in MI...

And hey, it is gorgeous up here! People like YOU come HERE to vacation, both summer and winter. Don't forget that!!! :p

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
kyryah said:
Always expect the worst in MI...

And hey, it is gorgeous up here! People like YOU come HERE to vacation, both summer and winter. Don't forget that!!! :p

Yep good old Michigan.

I do have family in Roger's city and do go up there in the summer. It's great in the spring/summer, but horrible in the winter up there haha.

I wonder where all the Michigan people went. I think there were like 20+ people in that one thread. Hopefully they can chime in soon.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Well, kyryah, was it worth the gas for my babies?:p

I agree, the Taylor show is not worth a special trip for. You would have to be coming down for something else and hit all the pet stores, too. And even then it is 'hit or miss' with the pet stores. Since the Taylor show moved to the new location, I think it is larger and a little better. What I don't like is that there are too many snakes and not enough breeders. Too many dishonest people looking to make money. If I had more hatchlings, I would consider a table at the Taylor show.

Years back, there was a show in Troy and it was pretty good. It was packed inside a school, but one of the better ones I have been to. I have no idea why it never returned.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
kbaker said:

I agree, the Taylor show is not worth a special trip for. You would have to be coming down for something else and hit all the pet stores, too. And even then it is 'hit or miss' with the pet stores. Since the Taylor show moved to the new location, I think it is larger and a little better. What I don't like is that there are too many snakes and not enough breeders. Too many dishonest people looking to make money. If I had more hatchlings, I would consider a table at the Taylor show.

Years back, there was a show in Troy and it was pretty good. It was packed inside a school, but one of the better ones I have been to. I have no idea why it never returned.

Hmm. Well the Taylor show for me would be about $25 including gas and admission. So it's not that bad. I hadn't heard it got bigger though. Really looking for turtles/tortoises, not snakes though.

B K

5 Year Member
Seiryu said:
kbaker said:

Unfortunately I think all the shows are being choked out with snakes.

Hmm. Well the Taylor show for me would be about $25 including gas and admission. So it's not that bad. I hadn't heard it got bigger though. Really looking for turtles/tortoises, not snakes though.

B K said:
Seiryu said:
kbaker said:

Unfortunately I think all the shows are being choked out with snakes

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes Kevin, they certainly were!!!

I'm a snake lover myself, so that doesn't bother me too much. I would like to go to a show just for the experience, but I am not really looking to get any more tortoises. I have a Leo and another Star coming and I am still waiting on my 4 Manouria. I have almost 40 turtles and tortoises, lol.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I just moved back here from south Texas and wish we had some decent reptile shows here! I went to two down there and they were great! Was thinking of going to the taylor show just to check it out, but am now thinkning its not worth the drive :(. Hopefully some day we will get a decent show!

Status
Not open for further replies.