Tortoise stopped moving all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You need to understand that hatchlings are ultra delicate....some will make it and some will not.

I am sorry for you loss....rest in peace little :tort:

freefood

5 Year Member
I thought that after the first year, they would be less delicate. I guess not.

freefood

5 Year Member
I told the breeder (whatever they're called), and she said she might have eaten the sand and got impacted. That makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. She didn't poop much, and with no symptoms, it could all happen inside without me noticing.

What could she have been missing from her diet that would cause her to eat sand and rocks?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for you.:( Maybe when the time is right for you to get another one, maybe try and get an older one, not so delicate. Also in the mean time read all you can about them so when the time comes you will feel more confident in what you are doing, so the past won't haunt you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tortoise will eat the dirt and pebbles from time to time ----speculation is that they do it for the minerals and also as digest aids,.....some will say that if the tortoise is well hydrated this should not be a problem....

I have had a CDT that was impacted while cared for by prior host....I worked 5-6 weeks with him and he eventually was able to pass the sand in the form of solid sand balls then wet sand balls then a mix of sand and food particles to eventually solid tootsie roll poos.....

However, we could all offer speculation as to what may have been the culprit....this will not aid you in feeling better at all as this only proves to be another way we torment ourselves......

I read your threads previously and there are signs your little one was possible ill for some time.....so as I shared before, sometimes bad things happen.

I hope you find peace and closure when you have done all that you need to in getting through your sadness and loss.

Let us know if you need us for anything during your mourning, alright.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
freefood said:
TortBrain said:
Sorry to hear about your lose.
Never give up. 4 star tortoises hatchling had died on me during the past decade before I read up hard and succeeded.
Do your very best, their life is in your hand..
4 of them? How did you even make it through life? 2 is hard enough for me.
No choice. Life still goes on..

Status
Not open for further replies.