Tortoise sitting (take 2)

QRoseC

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I have an adult Russian and my friend wants me to watch his juvenile Sulcata (they're about the same size). I'm obviously not going to house them together, but do I need to worry about parasites or anything with using the same habitats (inside and out) for both? Alternating their time in each?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. They should never occupy the same space, even if it's only one at a time.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It multiple things . Tortoise poop and pee . They can pass things back and forth that way . Plus tortoise can smell . You will stress them out by making them smell the other in your tortoises area . But mostly it's pathogens that can make one or both sick . If you're going to babysit for your friend have him setup a temporary enclosure for you . Better safe than sorry .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises have little pathogens in their bodies that they have evolved to live with. When you add a tortoise from a different continent into the mix whose bodies have not lived with these same pathogens the tortoise can become sick or even dead.

QRoseC

Austin, TX
Thank you guys so much! My friend "provided" space for him (which is not ideal, play sand, ugh) but I'll keep him in there, then.