Tortoise sitting

izzymorley

I am going on holiday for three weeks and my friend is looking after my 1 year old tortoise. They have recently just got 2 baby tortoises within the last month. Would it be alright for the 3 tortoises to live together in the same enclosure or should they be kept separate?

josh shultis

Location (City and/or State)
ontario, canada
Id Keep them apart, even if you got a new tortoise your supposed to quarantine it for 6 months to a year to make sure it's healthy an isn't going to transfer any diseases or parasites to your healthy tort. I wouldn't take the chance

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Torts don't play nice, and your 1yo tort could easily injure the babies, and the parasite thing :)

QRoseC

Austin, TX
Follow up question: I have an adult Russian and my friend wants me to watch his juvenile Sulcata (they're about the same size). I'm obviously not going to house them together, but do I need to worry about parasites or anything with using the same habitats (inside and out) for both? Alternating their time in each?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Follow up question: I have an adult Russian and my friend wants me to watch his juvenile Sulcata (they're about the same size). I'm obviously not going to house them together, but do I need to worry about parasites or anything with using the same habitats (inside and out) for both? Alternating their time in each?
You definitely need to wash your hands in between handling all 3 & use different dishes for food & water & soaking for all 3, IMHAO. This bacteria, which I can"t spell or pronounce, is highly contagious & it doesn't die off easily from all that we know right now. And it is deadly & right now not easily cured, if at all.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. We love photos!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The op last visited the Forum in 2014. I'm afraid we're going to be seeing a lot more of these because of the new feature since the last update.