Tortoise Shyness

mia.swain

I've had my tortoise for about 4 years now and she's in great health but is still very shy. She's a lot more curious and outgoing in the summer, as she is able to go outside a lot more I assume. However she is still very wary of me a lot of the time and tends to hiss when I pick her up. Any ideas on how to make her more confident? Or anything I can do differently?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Some just don't like to be handled. bit you could just try handling him a little a day. Try hand feeding him his favorite food whenever you want

M

Maggie Cummings

He's not really hissing at you, that's the air escaping his body as he jams back into his carapace....I handle mine at any opportunity. I believe it socializes them,
And it gets them used to me so they stop peeing on me...

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
How are you approaching her? Coming from overhead can be threatening (think like a bird coming to scoop her up) I try to approach from the side and I talk to the tort so it know's I'm there. Then I put my hand on them for a second before picking them up.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I try to be slow and deliberate when handling Speedy , approaching so he can see me . If I am rushing him , he lets me know he disapproves by peeing on me ! :eek:

mia.swain

Okay Thankyou, I'll try hand feeding more often and approaching more slowly. She's a horsefield tortoise

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Some don't like being picked up at all but they might enjoy being touched. I give Charlie treats and touch him at the same time. Hopefully he'll associate touching with good things. I've noticed that now that he has emerged from his 2 month nap, he is shyer than he was before.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum.:tort:

Most torts do not like to be handled/picked up. They are not sociable animals.:rolleyes: They also need a lot of time to get used to a new place, environment, new owner, enclosure and the rest.:)

Please post pics of your tort as well as her enclosure.