Tough little tortoise

lucycdavies

Location (City and/or State)
Haverfordwest
Hello, I'm wondering how tough my almost two year old spur thighed is, she's very clumsy and falls on her back after I change her substrate and she once looked like she bit her arm - I worry about her a lot (as you would know if you've read my other posts!)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I think they are tougher than we think they are, and it's a good thing. I have a just turned 2 year old Star tortoise, and he's quite doppy. He regularly flips onto his back while he's soaking, and once turned himself over while trying to push a flowerpot out of his way.

But I do think their clumsiness is adorable and part of the reason we love them. They're just like a toddler, bringing out our mothering instincts.

lucycdavies

Haverfordwest
Thank you for that! When handling them, what parts of them do they not like being touched? I've seen people picking them up withe their thumb on top of its shell and fingers below it - but i pick my tortoise up like you would pick up a Lego brick (not the way you'd handle Lego!) with one hand ready for an emergency catch just in case, would my tortoise prefer the latter?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank you for that! When handling them, what parts of them do they not like being touched? I've seen people picking them up withe their thumb on top of its shell and fingers below it - but i pick my tortoise up like you would pick up a Lego brick (not the way you'd handle Lego!) with one hand ready for an emergency catch just in case, would my tortoise prefer the latter?
Some like a head rub, some like their shell gently rubbed or scratched...I don't think there is any general rule on this.

I pick mine up with one hand (he's still very small), and put him against my chest. That way his feet are against me and I'm holding him. He doesn't feel like he's going to fall. I think it's pretty universal that they hate having their feet dangling.