Tortoise scratching

LucyA

Location (City and/or State)
Crawley
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but I have owned my Hermann Tortoise, Shearer for 8 years. Recently, she has started scratching at the sides of his tortoise table enclosure again and just looks like she wants to come out and explore. Which I let her - for a few hours at time and I always ensure she is safe, happy and warm. We live in a flat at the moment but with a balcony with fake grass so the warm weather we've had, she has been outside sometimes. But recently someone on Facebook has stated the dangers of tortoises roaming free in the house and there may be something wrong with the enclosure etc. as tortoises should be happy in their enclosure and should not scratch. Please help and advise me on anything that may be wrong. I've attached pictures below. The tortoise table is 122 inches by 25 inches. The secluded area has Aspen bedding and a heat mat on the lid so she can have a private area. I realise I may need a hide for her in the main area but when I had them, she would climb on them and try to get out and sometimes, on one or two occasions I would find her on her back from falling off them so I'm scared of having one again. Thanks.

15931836643455438327067209916444.jpg15931836978028667716887796897442.jpg15931837455819036267454838541479.jpg

nicoleann2214

NY
You’re gonna need a bigger enclosure definitely and yes it is dangerous to let your tort roam around the house.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
once you let a tortoise roam freely they will want to keep doing it. Your current enclosure is way too small. you are said its 122" x25". That cant be right as that is almost 10 feet. Your substrate is also not good for tortoises. check out the care sheet. judging by your enclosure, i would say your humidity is probably off as well. You should try to model your husbandry after it.

I apologize for coming off negative but I only want the tortoise to be happy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That enclosure is way too small and that's why the tortoise is "scratching."

A tortoise that size should be living outside in a safe, secure and well-planted yard. If it's not possible to set him up outside, then he needs a minimum size of 4'x8' to live in. Once you add hiding places, plants, visual barriers, a feeding station and a waterer big enough for him to sit in, even 4'x8' will seem too small.

Tortoise digestive health depends upon them being able to do a lot of walking. Unless he goes around and around, he's not going to be able to walk much in that small enclosure.