1-year Hermann’s Tortoise constantly scratching on her enclosure

katviv903

Location (City and/or State)
Killingworth, CT
Hello, I have had my 1-year old Hermann’s Tortoise for about 2 months. I purchased her from Petco because she seemed miserable and constantly scratched along the side of her enclosure, and it broke my heart. We got her a standard enclosure that had closed sides, and filled it with all the good stuff, but she continued to scratch along the side. We got her a larger enclosure with partially clear sides, but she just continues to scratch along the side. She climbs everything we put in her enclosure as though trying to get out. When I put her in the bathtub for some free crawling/swimming, she just tries to climb the sides. When I let her run free on a sheet on the floor, she tries to run away.

She is obviously unhappy, and has always been. We have rocks and treat balls, etc. but nothing makes her happy.

We are desperate…we want her to be comfortable, happy, and content…it’s why we took her on in the first place…but we are out of ideas. Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Thank you!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size is her enclosure?
What is the basking temp and what kind of bulb is it?
What is the over all temp of the enclosure? Day temp? Night temps? What kind of bulb are you using for uvb? What else if anything are you using for heat or light?
What is the humidity %?
What kind of substrate?
What is the diet?
Post a picture of her and enclosure.
Most tortoise at big box pet stores are not that young.

PinkPine

Michigan
Hello, I have had my 1-year old Hermann’s Tortoise for about 2 months. I purchased her from Petco because she seemed miserable and constantly scratched along the side of her enclosure, and it broke my heart. We got her a standard enclosure that had closed sides, and filled it with all the good stuff, but she continued to scratch along the side. We got her a larger enclosure with partially clear sides, but she just continues to scratch along the side. She climbs everything we put in her enclosure as though trying to get out. When I put her in the bathtub for some free crawling/swimming, she just tries to climb the sides. When I let her run free on a sheet on the floor, she tries to run away.

She is obviously unhappy, and has always been. We have rocks and treat balls, etc. but nothing makes her happy.

We are desperate…we want her to be comfortable, happy, and content…it’s why we took her on in the first place…but we are out of ideas. Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Thank you!!!
Sorry you are dealing with this! It can be so frustrating. My male Hermann scratches at his enclosure several times a day. I let him out(supervised) and let him cruise the house until he stops. When I put him back in his enclosure, he is tired by then and crashes in his cave.

My sister has a male Hermann as well. She has a secure room in her house where she puts him to run his hot laps. There's even an oval-shaped indent on the rug from his tread. Same thing, when he slows down, she puts him away to snooze. Maybe try letting yours tire itself out where it has room to explore

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry you are dealing with this! It can be so frustrating. My male Hermann scratches at his enclosure several times a day. I let him out(supervised) and let him cruise the house until he stops. When I put him back in his enclosure, he is tired by then and crashes in his cave.

My sister has a male Hermann as well. She has a secure room in her house where she puts him to run his hot laps. There's even an oval-shaped indent on the rug from his tread. Same thing, when he slows down, she puts him away to snooze. Maybe try letting yours tire itself out where it has room to explore
This practice is very dangerous and it should not be recommend or engaged in. We see several deaths a year from people doing this and every single one of them supervised closely and was sure it was safe. It is not safe and cannot be made safe. Tortoises need to stay in their enclosures, and their enclosures need to be large enough to meet their needs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There are many potential reasons why this can happen. The answers to Wellington's question will help us help you figure it out.

They seldom sell hermanni in Petco, so a picture of the tortoise would help to make sure you have the correct ID too. Enclosure pictures help us to see any problems you might be having too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

No, do not let him run on the floors of your home. This is very poor advice!!!
We have seen too many blockages and dead or injured tortoises from doing this poor advice.
Also, the floors of a home is usually too cold. Heat rises and the floor area is the coldest part of a room.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A designated room as an enclosure is fine because it is designated as the enclosure and would have all the proper things a proper enclosure would have including heat that keeps the whole room, including the floor at correct temperature.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and thanks for coming here for help, which I see you are getting from some of our most caring and experienced folks! One thing I thought of that might be a factor in the restless and persistent behaviour is that you may not be giving enough and the right type of food. Please give us details of how and what you are feeding the tortoise. Thanks.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
A designated room as an enclosure is fine because it is designated as the enclosure and would have all the proper things a proper enclosure would have including heat that keeps the whole room, including the floor at correct temperature.
Right, and of course, the correct type of substrate, not a bare tile or wood floor or carpet.

katviv903

Killingworth, CT
There are many potential reasons why this can happen. The answers to Wellington's question will help us help you figure it out.

They seldom sell hermanni in Petco, so a picture of the tortoise would help to make sure you have the correct ID too. Enclosure pictures help us to see any problems you might be having too.
Thank
Hi and thanks for coming here for help, which I see you are getting from some of our most caring and experienced folks! One thing I thought of that might be a factor in the restless and persistent behaviour is that you may not be giving enough and the right type of food. Please give us details of how and what you are feeding the tortoise. Thanks.

Thank you for responding! Here are a few pucsvofvher

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpeg
    IMG_0195.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0194.jpeg
    IMG_0194.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

katviv903

Killingworth, CT
Hi! We give her a variety of greens, including curly kale, dandelion greens, collard greens, mustard greens when I can find them, carrot tops, sometimes oars. We give her a mound about 1/2 her size, twice a day. She gets a mix of all colored peppers, Brussels sprout tops/leaves, shredded carrots, sometimes parsnips, etc. We also give her the flower toppers as well. We give her the calcium powder every other day. She used to have a huge appetite but it seems to have gotten a little smaller.