my spur thigh on the mend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
I have been trying to repair some of the damage done to my spur thiged tortoise when I got her she was in bad condition her shell was soft her legs weak she wouldnt eat properly and had runny stools I got her back to been alert and eating well gave her supplements ( calcium) mon - fri and a multi vitamin on the weekend she has the right uvb light and basking light she eats a wide variety of leafy greens and has regular soaks daily . And slowly she seems to be recovering but I wonder does anyone know if there is more I should do ?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
What specifically is her diet? Does she get nice sunny outside time?

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
She doesn't get any outside time at the mo its to cold here in London but come spring I do plan to start her out in the garden . As for food I give a wide variety of things like spring green mix , parsley, clover leafs , tortoise friendly weeds , cactus , cabbage etc she is a real fighter and seems to be getting better but no where near what she should be . I know it will take a while for the calcium to take effect and go back into all the right places but her shell is hardening her leg strength is slowly coming back so am I on the right path ?

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
Also do you have an idea of what the best substrate is for her ? I think she is from Morocco so im trying to recreate the perfect environment ? Humidity levels ? Etc

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Your definitely on the right track. If you can offer "collard greens" they are really high in calcium. Or there is a product called miner-all that has lots of added nutrients the torts need and is highly recommended by several members (I haven't used it yet but I will be).
For substrate a 50/50 mix of organic topsoil with no added fertilizers or peat mos mixed with plays and

Mixed with playsand will hold moisture as well as burrows especially if its 4-6in deep. Make sure you pack it firmly into the enclosure though so its easy for the tort to walk on.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
The best thing you're doing is correcting her diet, UVb exposure, heating (although you haven't told us what her temps are in her enclosure), and supplements. What I must stress most is getting her outside
only when the temp outside is above 75 degrees F. She'll need as much sunlight as she can get. Also, exercise her by getting her to walk and walk in the garden. Make sure there's some sort of fence or wall to keep her from getting out, or keeping other animals from getting in. Aside from what temps you keep, you're doing all you could for now. Btw, what kind of UVb bulb are you using? Can you post a pic of it here?

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
Temperature under the heat lamp is 100º in the centre its between 80º and 90º at the cool end between 60º and 70º . Ive changed the substrate to half play sand and half soil and now im trying to raise the humidity but its not going up . I keep spraying the enclosure but still no improvement what can I do ?

Bulb is desert terrarium 10.0 strip uvb

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
Wooo hooo my little girl is doing so well her shell is hardening she is feeding so good she is now operating on proper tortoise time poops are proper stools as apposed to runny and she is now climbing and exploring her home . I cant wait for some warmth outside so she can go in her garden pen . Im so lucky to have a survivor

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Arkansas
YAYYY!!!! I am so happy to hear you lil one is getting better. Your lil tort is lucky to have found its way to you. I hope you two have a long healthy life together! Could you please please post pics of your little one?

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
Wooo hooo my little girl is doing so well her shell is hardening she is feeding so good she is now operating on proper tortoise time poops are proper stools as apposed to runny and she is now climbing and exploring her home . I cant wait for some warmth outside so she can go in her garden pen . Im so lucky to have a survivor

Status
Not open for further replies.