TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

waterboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverbank, CA
Wow I cant believe it is legal to sell those 2 sulcatas that are in that kind of condition. Maybe if we sent the link to animal control they would take the torts and then we could just pick them up. Also i called the guy about the 2 in the tank and had to leave a message i will try him again tomorrow and hopefully he'll hold them till Nov. Good start to TRN lets keep it going.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Heck I saw a sulcata hatchling out here the other day for $25.00 its crazy out here. I don't know if they are finding them or breeding them. But I'll bet next year around this time we will be doing the same thing. Looking at all these mistreated sulcata's and doing rescues on them.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
waterboy said:
Wow I cant believe it is legal to sell those 2 sulcatas that are in that kind of condition. Maybe if we sent the link to animal control they would take the torts and then we could just pick them up. Also i called the guy about the 2 in the tank and had to leave a message i will try him again tomorrow and hopefully he'll hold them till Nov. Good start to TRN lets keep it going.

I had emailed him before I knew you were working on it and asked about getting them on Saturday. Maybe tell him you are a friend of mine or something? Maybe he isn't too worried about getting back to you because he figures I will be getting them. My email is [email protected] and my name is Kim.

mainey34 said:
Heck I saw a sulcata hatchling out here the other day for $25.00 its crazy out here. I don't know if they are finding them or breeding them. But I'll bet next year around this time we will be doing the same thing. Looking at all these mistreated sulcata's and doing rescues on them.

They have to be breeding them. There always is at least 10...usually more per posting.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Dang, hes actually in pretty good shape, go get him lol.

My gf's boss has a 10 year old that ill be adopting this spring once it warms up and I can get him inside, I dont have room inside right now.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
LuckysGirl007 said:
Sad that they are all in Phoenix. :(. I know of the 4 I am trying to get this weekend and the 2 Andrew is getting...where are the other 2? Is someone already working on them?

This is the listing. I just sent a PM to another volunteer to try, because I get no reply from the seller.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pet/3326582154.html

I'm mostly interested if the one who looks like it has MBD came to the seller like that, is okay now, and just happens to have a funky shell, OR if it's currently sick...

OK, my head is spinning. Let's see what happens with the ones we're working on before we try for more. Someone mentioned it might be difficult to find good homes in Phoenix for the rescues, because there are so many babies for sale, and that's a good point. Who wants a big deformed sully, when you can get a cute little baby, right? Ugh. Anyway, I have made some contacts here in Florida, and have located a sanctuary that can take several large sulcatas. I've also been in touch with some individuals interested in providing forever homes, but none of them have been screened yet... Also, if you are one of the fosters and you haven't made you Pay Pal account yet, do it soon so I can get $$ to you when you need it.

Jacqui said:
greyshirt said:
Here is a Sulcatta in SA, TX. Let me know if you want me to contact them.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3331585395.html

$500.00???

Ummmmmmmm, no. That tort looks good, it's sitting outside on grass which means the owners probably aren't clueless, and it's $500.

BodaTort1 said:
The 2 in Phoenix with the MBD and pyramiding are breaking my heart.. I hope they reply so we can rescue them.. I know I am in Texas but I would take them in-in a minute if possible.

Are you offering to foster, or adopt? :) Judging by things so far, there is absolutely no shortage of sickly sulcatas out there. It's heartbreaking. We can always arrange transport or shipping for any of them once they are healthy enough, if you want to adopt. If you want to foster, just give me a few days, and I'll find some that need you.

OK, VOLUNTEERS, LET'S CLARIFY!!! :p

I'm getting confusing PMs, so I just want to make sure we're on the same page. We'll have to figure out a more streamlined approach to this... But, for now:

Waterboy is working on the 2 tank torts with pyramiding, right?

LuckysGirl007 is working on the 4 tiny sullies, right?

Mainey34 can you inquire about the 6 & 10 year old--which looks like it had/has MBD? If you can't, let me know and I'll try again.

This way, each person is working on one set of torts and if they all come through, we have the right number of foster homes set up. Thanks!!!!!!!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes, I am working on contacting the two torts with MBD. I haven't gotten a reply back yet, but that won't stop me.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Erika,
I am able and interested in fostering the medium sized torts in need of TLC and a chance with a loving, responsible and educated family such as the 6 & 10 yr olds with MBD/severe pyramiding. Let me know what I can do to help. ~Cari

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I will be picking up the 4 "runt torts" tomorrow afternoon. Monday I will be getting the 2 "tank torts" for Waterboy. If anyone wants to foster a couple of the 4 in the Phoenix area let me know. I'm happy to share! We will be nursing these guys back to health and getting them sent out to their forever homes soon!

It will be interesting to see a size comparison on these guys. They are all about 3 years old.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My dad told me today that he wouldn't mind adopting a Sulcata, probably not more than one though, and size isn't an issue, he has 5 acres and a barn with seperate stalls for winter.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
jtrux said:
My dad told me today that he wouldn't mind adopting a Sulcata, probably not more than one though, and size isn't an issue, he has 5 acres and a barn with seperate stalls for winter.

That's awesome! Is he in San Antonio too?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Well, that's why I never got a response. I wished someone would have notified me. About the two for waterboy. Thanks.
Erica, the 10&6 year old with the MBD, I have repeatedly sent emails but I have not gotten a response. I will continue to try. When I searched on CL I did not see the listing. But like I said I will keep trying.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
The 2 Sulcatas with the MBD and severe pyramiding are back on the Phoenix craigslist. They reposted their ad this morning.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pet/3337196705.html

I also noticed that they keep changing their location (West Phoenix/77th and Flower/ 75th and Thomas) in the title but once you read the ad they give the same cross streets at the end. They also keep using the same photos in all their baby Sully ads with different addresses...

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
BodaTort1 said:
The 2 Sulcatas with the MBD and severe pyramiding are back on the Phoenix craigslist. They reposted their ad this morning.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pet/3337196705.html

I also noticed that they keep changing their location (West Phoenix/77th and Flower/ 75th and Thomas) in the title but once you read the ad they give the same cross streets at the end. They also keep using the same photos in all their baby Sully ads with different addresses...

Thanks for letting us know it's back up. I don't know why they keep posting it, but won't respond to the emails of people who are interested in them. So weird...