I want to start a local (Oregon) tortoise rescue...am I insane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Honestly!

Pros/cons? Opinions.

My pros:
I'm single, so no husband to irritate or neglect do to paying more attention to animals ;-)
I'm a licensed veterinary technician, working with a reptile DVM, clinic is "pro-tortoise".
I have the space
I'm resourceful (can raise $, build/barter habitats)
Huge network of other animal/veterinary professionals to network/foster/Re-home/educate
I have a driving passion now to get torts out of homes that don't want them and rehab/locate forever homes

Cons:
Will be expensive
Need to get friends to commit
Could snowball at times and be overwhelmed

I'd like to network people here to assist, mostly Oregon/Washington folks, but also have resources to connect the right tort with a new home anywhere if needed.

Cyber-slab me. I'm I crazy or is this needed? Can you all help me?

Sandy in Oregon

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.

Jd3

5 Year Member
My recommendation is start informally and just start doing what you can. As it expands you can become more "official".

Often the transition to being a full blown "rescue" ends up associating fees and cramp that people aren't interested in. See if you can help some animals, and step it up from there! Then you get the feel for more and more.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I agree 100%.
Not interested in "tax status", bank accounts, etc.

Just want to raise awareness, get torts out of bad or negative situations, and give them to people who actually DO want them and make a difference. I'm not a formal person. Been around the block, or city as it might be. Just want to be formal enough for people to take me (us) seriously, but not too formal as to overwhelm myself.

Sandy in Oregon

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Go for it. I think with all you listed, you have what it takes to do it. Like Jd3 said though, start small. Like a hobby first and get the feel for it and your foot into it slowly. I think it's a great idea. If I had the room, I would love to do it. The biggest problem you will probably face is being able to know when you can't take in another. That would be hard. Keep us posted on what you do and how it goes.

Jd3

5 Year Member
And if you really want to be a rescue the biggest part is making sure you don't get attached to every animal. Many will be sick and die. And the others should be reformed! We fostered tons of dogs and it was always hard.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Fortunately I'm no spring chicken and I have nasty lazy streak. LOL, so I can easily slow down.
I also have a huge hospital that was once a wildlife rehab that I can steal some space temporarily.

I already have several people seriously interested in being a suitable forever home.

Anyone on this forum want to be part of this? I would like to get email addresses and at least just contact those people as needed when a new rescue comes along, have people scout Craiglist and other social media, help find homes, give advice, etc.

Sandy in Oregon

Jd3

5 Year Member
But go for it! Using Facebook and cl works well to start. Feelers out to other vets and shelters. Let animal shelters know and watch their listings.

The specialty rescues here are able to get animals that fit their needs at reduced cost if they can help.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Jd3 said:
And if you really want to be a rescue the biggest part is making sure you don't get attached to every animal. Many will be sick and die. And the others should be reformed! We fostered tons of dogs and it was always hard.

I'm a 20+ year Vet tech.....I have that part down to an art form. ;-)

As stated, I'm just lazy enough to want to keep numbers small. Been breeding basenjis for years...as I love my baby pups, I can't wait to get them to new homes and reduce my workload. LOL, even though I ball my eyes out when they leave.

Sandy in Oregon

Jd3

5 Year Member
A cool website you can use to help you watch cl is called ifttt.com If this, then that.

You can set up an alert for a specific cl search and have it email you. Super handy. It is also handy for a lot of other stuff, but that isn't relevant here!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Nice!

Sandy in Oregon

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Fabulous. Not sure what an rss is. I only have an iPad, no real computer anymore (died, stopped using it anyway).

I set up CL want add for rescues. You'll probably see it! Feel free to give me constructive criticism. I'm positive and open minded.

Sandy in Oregon

Jd3

5 Year Member
Ifttt has an app! Easier to use too! That's what I used to make that.

The rss link is the bottom right corner in this picImageUploadedByTortForum1377059776.349596.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to...You absolutely MUST...set limits. Decide which species of tortoise you want in your own collection, and stick with that. Don't decide to keep every turtle and tortoise than you rescue. Set up your pens. Bear in mind how many of your own tortoise can safely fit in each pen. Make several quarantine pens for rescues, and leave them vacant until you get a rescue. Don't put more than one rescue in a pen unless they came together. When a rescue is adopted out, clean and water the vacated quarantine pen thoroughly and keep it vacant for a month or more.

Keep a supply of large plastic tubs on hand and sanitize them before each use.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Already have quarantine and two pens set up and ready. Remember, seasoned vet tech ;-) (grin).

I have no interest in adding to my family, just want to help those in need find forever homes. I have 3 people on a waiting list already.

I so appreciate everyone's comments!! Keep them coming! :-D

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I think you will run into the issue where people will want you to pay then to rescue you there tortoises. Might end up being more of a headache that you think but it might also be very rewarding, regardless, I wish you the best.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I think what you are doing is great! I often see tiny sulcatta babies at my local pet store and I wonder how many of them will be poorly care for and eventually unwanted when they aren't so tiny anymore. The more rescuers the better! I have homed several stray cats/kittens over the last few years and it is rewarding seeing them go to their forever homes. Best of luck to you!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I worked in basenji rescue for many years. I still help coordinate rescues and adoptions but no longer have them in my house. I loved the process and meeting wonderful people and seeing the dogs happy.

Sandy in Oregon

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Who's tortoise walked across the keyboard? LOL

Sandy in Oregon

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
SenjiSandy said:
Who's tortoise walked across the keyboard? LOL

Sandy in Oregon

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! THAT MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD!! :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.