tortoise plus gatorade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
i had taken a real unhealthy RF and a local breeder told me to give her gatorade because it would boost her energy and electrolytes(think that how you spell it) he said mix it 50/50 with water is it safe? im not going to try it tho shes doing 1000000000000000000 times better

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....okay so while I can not say that this person is right/wrong, it would make me a bit uncomfortable to allow a tortoise/reptile ingest gatorade....If you are wanting to introduce electrolytes I believe a better choice would be Smart Water ....something without the sugar content....this is in my own opinion ....you certainly can give the others awhile to give their feed back on this question :D

Also, I am glad your tortoise is doing better.... :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Glad for the good news, I would imagine the sugar content is to high to safely use.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
People on the forum have used pedialyte for sickly torts. I think its lower sugar than gatorade, without the food coloring.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Edna said:
People on the forum have used pedialyte for sickly torts. I think its lower sugar than gatorade, without the food coloring.

:)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I used to give my chameleons Pedialyte to get them re-hydrated and it worked great w/no ill effects! :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A few things...

- Gatoraid was designed for football players in hot, humid climates (Florida!), and is basically just soda pop for most of us. (Most other sports drinks and fancy waters are not a lot better.)
- Electrolytes are a fancy name for dietary salts. If the animal is eating anything healthy, it is getting them naturally.
- The other stuff in Gatoraid and most other things like this are sugars and chemicals, which torts do not need.
- Reptiles cannot absorb water, nutrients, or chemicals in their skin or cloaca- so if they are not drinking in the soak, they are not helping.

If the tort is not dehydrated, I would not bother with any of this, but if it is still doing poorly, some experienced keepers here have had luck with a warm soak with some pureed or baby food squash, carrots, etc. mixed in it (Pediolyte or similar products can be added as well if desired). The warm water relaxes the tort and rehydrates the outer layers of skin, encourages urination and that often prompts drinking- which gives them the benefits of the food mixed in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.