Tortoise mouth bleeding maybe??

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I mean it eats the food up like crazy so I would have to disagree I guess it’s a preference and dry? Lmao how can you tell if it’s dry or wet it’s a pic and I will inform you there was water at the bottoms how damp it was

Because if the food was wet then the calcium would all be the orange color and it would have water on the greens and the bottom of the fish would have water. In that pic there is probably several months worth of calcium on there. Too much man. Put cuttlebone in the enclosure and as long add your little dude is getting a variety in its first you really don't need to give calcium.

skrapoy

New Orleans
Because if the food was wet then the calcium would all be the orange color and it would have water on the greens and the bottom of the fish would have water. In that pic there is probably several months worth of calcium on there. Too much man. Put cuttlebone in the enclosure and as long add your little dude is getting a variety in its first you really don't need to give calcium.

Ahh okay I have a cutter bone but he dosent seem to chew on it and I promise you it’s not even a teaspoon and that’s what it calls for it just looks like a lot because of the picture but your saying if I leave the cuttlebone I don’t need powder same with my turtles cause I haven’t given my turtles powder but I give them cuttlebone and they chew tf outa that

skrapoy

New Orleans

Also the only reason why it looks like a lot is because part of that is calcium the other part of that is a multivitamin powder with a bunch of different benefits mixed together it calls for that much for amount of food ounce by spoon

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
He’s not bleeding my enclosure is fine obvise 70 humidity always substrate is damp in some areas obvy kinda dry in baskin and wdym by feeding tile? It’s like a flat small bowl he can climb in and out of easily if you read up you will see the calcium when it gets wet looks turns into a blood color that’s why I thought I was seeing blood in his / her food but there wasn’t ever any blood

I stand corrected. However, the advice I gave is still relevant in that cases of tortoises shedding blood from dry cypress mulch can be found in various reptile forums. I understand your aggression towards another person's opinions but do caution that such responses may make others feel hesitant when deciding whether or not to come to your aid in the future.

drew54

Indiana
Also the only reason why it looks like a lot is because part of that is calcium the other part of that is a multivitamin powder with a bunch of different benefits mixed together it calls for that much for amount of food ounce by spoon

As long as your little guy has a good variety in his diet he will nibble the cuttlebone when needed. I've seen mine nibble on it 3 times since I've had her. I do give multivitamins once a week and I do give calcium with d3 a small pinch maybe once every other week just for the d3. We don't want to over due the calcium because it can cause a lot of issues like brittle bones and stuff. And since there is a lot of calcium in weeds and leafy greens the helps us out. These are all just recommendations, so you do what you feel is best for your little your guy.

Keep pics of your tiny dinosaur coming as we enjoy them.

Reactions: NSH

NSH

10 Year Member!
Agree with drew54 and just want to wright that you guys who use multivits and calcium must be extra careful. Calcium with d3 is very dangerous if not dosed properly, will caused all kind of problems similar to mbd if overdosed. Calcium without d3 is way to go, multis 1x a month and calcium with d3 only 1-2x at month (that is how we do it with our sulcata for past 6+ years, also as we keep various lizards same for them). Also keep in mind that tortoises keept outside and feed with various and proper diet really dont need much of supplements.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have to agree with the others. That's WAY to much calcium and multivitamins in that picture you posted. You definately don't even need half that much. I don't even use calcium. I give my tort cuttlebone and a varied diet and this has worked fine for me.