Bleeding from mouth

fisers666

Location (City and/or State)
Riga,Latvia
Hello!
After new year my cooter stopped eating and became more passive than usual. Got worried, but calmed down as I found out that many turtles stop eating when winter comes. In past weeks shes more active, but still not eating. Also she's not stretching her neck out, only like half way max. Today I mentioned some small amount of blood coming from mouth. I checked her mouth(as gently as I could), found nothing, as far as I could see. When I held her vertically, I could see blood slowly filling up the throat. Now its still bleeding , only mouth, nothing from nose ,except in moment i put her horizontal after checking her mouth. Blood seems like its mixed with saliva(turtles don't have saliva, right?).Going to vet next week and would like some suggestions what to tell vet and what should I watch out for? Also if anyone have similar experience I will be grateful if you can share.
Before she stopped eating she weighted 1380g , at mid March 1280g, before 3 days 1300g(did not see her eating ,also didn't see any blood).

Picture is taken after mouth checking when bleeding got worse.This amount of blood is from ~2-3h.

IMG_20200405_173417[1].jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Geez, that doesn't look good. Sorry, I have no clue what to tell you other than to get to the vet ASAP.

My first impression was that there was something sharp stuck in between the neck and the shell, but you said you can see the throat fill up with blood, so you're sure it's coming from inside the turtle.

That small body doesn't have very much blood inside it. I would get to the vet as soon as you can before she loses much more blood.

fisers666

Riga,Latvia
Geez, that doesn't look good. Sorry, I have no clue what to tell you other than to get to the vet ASAP.

My first impression was that there was something sharp stuck in between the neck and the shell, but you said you can see the throat fill up with blood, so you're sure it's coming from inside the turtle.

That small body doesn't have very much blood inside it. I would get to the vet as soon as you can before she loses much more blood.
Will do that first thing tommorow(due to corrona, local zoo clinic is closed today). I hope she'll make it that long.

fisers666

Riga,Latvia
Local zoo said they don't take appointments now, 1 of 2 other options is on vacation, 1 place left to call tomorrow ... Turtle is way more lethargic than it was before(suppose from blood loss). Overall situation looks pretty grave for Onion.

fisers666

Riga,Latvia
Also from today I have no job(corrona...), so vet bill becomes an issue . Good news that she is not bleeding today, didn't see any blood in throat also, she just looking weak overall. Should I try to squirt some food in mouth(have some large syringes)?

fisers666

Riga,Latvia
She has passed away. Didn't open her eyes anymore, didn't move, also plastron turned reddish with dark spots. I think she bled out. RIP Onion.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
She has passed away. Didn't open her eyes anymore, didn't move, also plastron turned reddish with dark spots. I think she bled out. RIP Onion.
Sorry for your loss.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I"m so, SO sorry for your loss. ?
Whatever you do, please do NOT blame yourself for her passing. :<3: