Tortoise 'Litterbox'!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Dante loves his water fountain, which means I love it too, but it is a process to clean. And without fail, every time I clean it, I catch him in the poop position! Every. Single. Time. Lol
1439747231247.jpg

I'm not really complaining, because I'm glad it keeps him regular, but he seriously reminds me of my cats! They practically fight over who gets to be the first to christen the litterboxes after I clean them! :eek: Maybe Dante doesn't realize he has no competition :p

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Haha...yeah I have two water dishes for my guys and as soon as I clean it they walk through it and poop, put moss in it and anything else they can find.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's what they do.

By the way, that substrate should be replaced with one that holds moisture.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
It's what they do.

By the way, that substrate should be replaced with one that holds moisture.

Thanks for your advice, but cypress mulch holds moisture just fine. We haven't turned it up in a couple days, so it looks dry.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He's enjoying that! What about trying him with a second terracotta plant dish sunk to surface level without the stones that he can get right in and soak. If he uses that it would be easier to clean!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
He's enjoying that! What about trying him with a second terracotta plant dish sunk to surface level without the stones that he can get right in and soak. If he uses that it would be easier to clean!

I hadn't thought of including a secondary dish for soaking, but I could. I've tried dishes in the past (as a primary source of water) and he never touched them!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I hadn't thought of including a secondary dish for soaking, but I could. I've tried dishes in the past (as a primary source of water) and he never touched them!
Worth a try - if it's easy for him to get in and out of and not too slippy he may like both if you've room!