Follow Up on Water Fountain in Enclosure

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So it's been at least a couple months since I added what is technically a large water bowl for dogs into Dante's enclosure. The reason being that he would not go near his stagnant bowl of water and was dehydrated.

After having this for quite some time and watching Dante interact with it, I would highly recommend it for an adult tortoise enclosure! Sometimes Dante uses it merely as a climbing obstacle, but then there are days (see pictures below) where I catch him actually drinking and using it to aid himself while peeing/pooing. So overall, I think it helps keep him hydrated and more regular and it adds humidity :)

As for cleaning, he does drag a lot of mulch into it. He is quite destructive and active, but even with that, I usually only have to clean it once or twice a week. Though sometimes he waits until I clean it to take a poo in it.... Budget an extra cleaning session for that! Lol

Thirsty boy!
1383319029116.jpg

Note his leg in the water and the 'ready' position! He stimulates himself to go this way (always reminds me of sticking someone's hand in warm water while they're sleeping!)
1383319087310.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Awesome idea! Maybe I will try this for Littlefoot...he doesn't like his saucer either, and will only drink/poo in his soaks. I can always give it to the cats if he doesn't like it. :p

Can you link the one you got?

And I noticed you recommended for adults...why not hatchlings? I would think if you buried it so it was level with the substrate and added river rocks, etc. to the bottom so it was more shallow, it would work...or is there another reason?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
StarSapphire22 said:
Awesome idea! Maybe I will try this for Littlefoot...he doesn't like his saucer either, and will only drink/poo in his soaks. I can always give it to the cats if he doesn't like it. :p

Can you link the one you got?

And I noticed you recommended for adults...why not hatchlings? I would think if you buried it so it was level with the substrate and added river rocks, etc. to the bottom so it was more shallow, it would work...or is there another reason?

The reason I only recommend this one for adults is because it is deep. Very deep. I have to fill it with rocks even for my adult Hermann, but that makes for an uneven surface. He also likes to climb it, which would be a very big tipping/drowning hazard for babies. But there are a LOT of models out there so I'm sure with a little research you can find one better suited for a young tortoise.

This is the model I got: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16108166&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

I picked this one because it is stainless steel (super easy cleaning and rugged) and has a large 'soaking' area. It's cheaper on Amazon, but I like to go through brick and mortar stores in case I have product issues.

Oh, and here is my original post on the fountain, with more pictures so you can see how big it is: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-73855.html

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
I am in love with this idea! I am guessing since my RF is a hatchling, it would be too dangerous for her - or would it be okay with plenty of rocks to make it more shallow?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
RedFootMom said:
I am in love with this idea! I am guessing since my RF is a hatchling, it would be too dangerous for her - or would it be okay with plenty of rocks to make it more shallow?

I would not do it for a hatchling, I would really wait until a tort is a little bigger and less likely to flip/hurt themselves. The rocks are nice for making a fountain shallow, but they can shift and create gaps which may be hazardous for a little tort!

RedFootMom said:

I would not do it for a hatchling, I would really wait until a tort is a little bigger and less likely to flip/hurt themselves. The rocks are nice for making a fountain shallow, but they can shift and create gaps which may be hazardous for a little tort!

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
I'm so bummed but pretty much guessed she would be too small. When she gets bigger I'm getting one. I love it!

ulkal

5 Year Member
This is a great idea. When I have an adult tort, I will adopt that right away.