Back to Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I'm really upset right now. I thought Dante was finally, FINALLY, better but I should've known it wouldn't last.

After my last post, 'Happy Saturday', Dante promptly pooped out all that 'weight' I thought he had put on. It was weird, since he had been pooping everyday, for him to have so much saved up. But yeah, pooping free-for-all that day. And since then, about a week ago, he has quickly slipped back into his not eating habit. (Just look back at my previous posts to catch up, this has been a long process that I'm not going to re-explain)

I just don't know...2 weeks ago he was perfectly happy and ate like a tortoise should eat, and now we're back to where we were last AUGUST. It's so hard to watch Dante romp around like he is fine, but he's not eating and losing weight, so he can't be fine....

I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle here and I'm pretty tired of it. Dante acts perfectly normal aside from the lack of eating. Is this a habit that maybe he's formed (his behavior 2 weeks ago suggests otherwise but IDK)?? I'm going to take him back to the vet for another blood test and an x-ray this time, but I doubt they'll be of much help.

Insight/hugs greatly appreciated right now :(

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I feel your frustration, my Yoshi is up and down like a yoyo, it's so upsetting! Sorry I can't help but sending hugs your way x

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
Hugs to you...I know how you feel; my cherry red foot baby is doing the same thing... I'm trying not to get too upset about it too....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry your going through this again. Does he have a favorite food that he almost always will eat? I would try anything to get him to eat. Buy baby food. Like carrots, squash, etc. and put that on a finely chopped pile of greens. When you find one he seems to really like, stick with it for a while and then slowly start using less and less of it. If it were me. I would try any kind of tortoise safe food, even if its not recommended for my species. Strawberry, watermelon, canned pumpkin, the baby food I mentioned. At this point I wouldn't worry about the wrong type of food. This is of course if nothing is found to be wrong with him. Hugs, fingers crossed, good thoughts coming to you and Dante. Keep us updated.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Thank you for the moral support guys! I really needed it, and it's helping :) Everyone (expect my boyfriend) think I'm crazy for worrying about a little tortoise so much. Thank goodness for TFO!!

And yes, Tom, we actually just got back from raiding the produce department at our local store! As we speak he is slowing working on his favorite, raddicchio. Not much, but it's something. It's when he turns his nose up at raddichio that I really get worried.

Called the vet, the earliest they have available (And that I can make) is Wed. evening. I have to call Wednesday AM though to confirm, because it's a special time block that can only be book day-of and is reserved for sick pets...Whatever, as long as Dante gets in!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Alright, just got back from the vet a little while ago! On the bright side, he's officially put on 34 grams since his last visit a couple months ago (YAYYYY!). Given Dante's symptoms, the vet is suspicious his problems may be related to his kidneys. He drinks lots of water and still looks dehydrated (he drank a lot less when he was on his anti-biotics), and with the sudden appearance of urates (while natural, the sudden appearance of urates is odd in my book), his kidneys seem suspect. We took another blood sample and (sorry, I forget the clinical term) a butt swab for culturing. 2 day wait on the blood sample, 3-5 days on the butt swab. Waiting is killer!!

So, they gave Dante some fluids, hopefully tomorrow when he is over his trauma he'll be feeling a little better!! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I sure hope the results shows nothing as a kidney problem would not be good. Hopefully it's something very miner. Fingers crossed for only good things. Lets us know.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
luvpetz27 said:
How is Dante doing this morning?

He is ok, still traumatized! I gave him a bath and got a nice round of pee and poo out of him. But no nibbles yet today, he's hiding in the corner under his hay - Poor little guy! Im worried about the blizzard we are getting tomorrow...the last thing we need is for him to get chilled if we lose power. And hopefully it won't slow down the lab reports!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks for the update! I was wondering. A blizzard? Not good!!
I hope your power stays on too!!! Good luck!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
luvpetz27 said:
Thanks for the update! I was wondering. A blizzard? Not good!!
I hope your power stays on too!!! Good luck!

Thanks! We are prepared :) I just got a huge pack of hand/foot warmers in case of emergency. I'm sure we'll lose power, hopefully it's just not for long enough to need them!

theEastCoastTurtle

5 Year Member
Hope everything things ok. For a while my red foot would not eat. I buy him fresh kale weekly and I am going to grow a garden this spring. Good luck.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
So, finally got the test results back! Everything was delayed by the blizzard we had (thankfully we didn't lose power!).

There was nothing significant found that points towards an definitive answer, unfortunately. But on the upside, it looks like his kidneys are in working order! :) So, it looks like Dante's vitamin, calcium, and Iron levels are all a little low....But is that because he hasn't been eating or because of something else? Unfortunately we still don't know :( The butt swab showed one minor thing (I forget the name) that should respond to the Baytril we've been treating him with. The vet said that that one thing definitely wouldn't be the main cause of...whatever his issue is.

My question is now his treatment. I think we are going to start Baytril again. His appetite is pretty bad at the moment (just nibbles a bit on raddicchio), and he seemed to respond positively to that overall last time, just very slowly. The vet suggested we start liquid calcium, because his calcium levels were too low (again, because he isn't eating or because of something else? The million dollar question). Next, if we feel comfortable with it, she suggested a combined Vitamin A/B/D shot. (Just one, not something that would cause an overdose she assures me). Then, if we feel like we want to do more, we can give him a shot of Iron and B, to get him feeling better and stimulate appetite.

So....what do you guys think? I know everyone seems to have different opinions on Vitamins, so I'd love to get some input here. I did get an RX for the liquid calcium (haven't started it yet), but I wanted to get opinions on the Vitamins, Iron, etc!

In the meantime, we're bumping up the overall temp of his enclosure and we're doing baby food soaks. He is still very alert, and SEEMS like he wants to eat. He sniffs intently at his food everytime he walks by, but in the end doesn't do more than nibble here and there (and yes, he has a selection of food to choose from!).

Thanks!

jennyBA

5 Year Member
Derbyshire UK
Hi, Just been reading through your thread and wonderd if your tort has been treated for protazoa.
My tortoise stopped eating and i treated him for protazoa and he improved almost straight away :)

Hope he is soon better

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
jennyBA said:
Hi, Just been reading through your thread and wonderd if your tort has been treated for protazoa.
My tortoise stopped eating and i treated him for protazoa and he improved almost straight away :)

Hope he is soon better

Hi Jenny,

Protazoa...that sounds like a worm or parasite? Or is that something else?

He was treated for worms a couple of times, but it has been a while since he had a stool sample done. That may be something to look in to!

jennyBA

5 Year Member
Derbyshire UK
Yes its a small parasite type thing, can make the torts very poorly.
You can treat them for it as routine like you would for worms :)

Status
Not open for further replies.