Tortoise keeps attacking my feet

Shellybob3

Location (City and/or State)
Dewsbury
My tortoise has just turned 2, it's a marginated tortoise and has all of a sudden decided to bite my fingers and toes when it gets chance, does anybody know why it's started doing this or any ways to prevent it? I just don't want ut biting my young nieces ..tia

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Give us the details of the tortoise and enclosure, diet, temperature, etc. And post a few pictures. Then you'll get some valuable help and ideas about the issue you are having.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise has just turned 2, it's a marginated tortoise and has all of a sudden decided to bite my fingers and toes when it gets chance, does anybody know why it's started doing this or any ways to prevent it? I just don't want ut biting my young nieces ..tia
This is normal male tortoise behavior. Simply move out of the way or put the tortoise inside its night box or a soaking tub when you need to work in the enclosure. Tell your nieces to stay out of the enclosure.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
This is normal male tortoise behavior. Simply move out of the way or put the tortoise inside its night box or a soaking tub when you need to work in the enclosure. Tell your nieces to stay out of the enclosure.
Thanks for the advice, even though he's only just 2 I guessed it was male lol, we'll all just to make sure we put socks on..thankyou again love any advice x

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
It's only just gone 2, lives on a tortoise table, but has some how become toilet trained so will knock when it wants to come out, costs me a fortune on puppy pads lol, goes to toilet minute I put it on pad

BernieL

Indio, California
Our Pete started right out doing this when he arrived. I did basically what the very wise Tom suggested: just moved my foot or hand away each time he did this. Pete eventually stopped doing it, and now he sometimes crawls right over my foot without taking a sample. I'm try to remember that that it's basically a wild little creature that's gracing us with his presence, but he seems somehow to have learned, and I haven't had to react.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Our Pete started right out doing this when he arrived. I did basically what the very wise Tom suggested: just moved my foot or hand away each time he did this. Pete eventually stopped doing it, and now he sometimes crawls right over my foot without taking a sample. I'm try to remember that that it's basically a wild little creature that's gracing us with his presence, but he seems somehow to have learned, and I haven't had to react.
It sounds sarcastic: "Move your hand out of the way...", but I'm serious. :) I work with wild animals daily and not getting bitten by animals that want to bite you is part of the job. I literally "move my hand out of the way" daily. Its MUCH easier to dodge a tortoise than it is to dodge a zebra, kangaroo, bird, snake, monkey, etc...

I'm glad my info helped you, and thanks for calling me "wise". That's much nicer than some of the other things I've been called. :D

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
It sounds sarcastic: "Move your hand out of the way...", but I'm serious. :) I work with wild animals daily and not getting bitten by animals that want to bite you is part of the job. I literally "move my hand out of the way" daily. Its MUCH easier to dodge a tortoise than it is to dodge a zebra, kangaroo, bird, snake, monkey, etc...

I'm glad my info helped you, and thanks for calling me "wise". That's much nicer than some of the other things I've been called. :D
Dodge and Tortoise.....two words that crack me up

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is he wandering around your house?
This is very risky with things such as cleaning chemicals about or human and pet hair, dust bunnies. small objects etc all being choking hazards. Then there's the risk he could be stood on or kicked or crushed in doors and door jams -there's many posts from heartbroken owners who've lost torts because of accidents like that.
I apologise if I've misunderstood, but it's best to keep him/her in a secure enclosure large enough for him to get plenty of exercise where he'll be safe and so will your feet.