Tortoise injured :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
It appears from this pic that the tortoise body itself may have been also injured, not the shell alone...there is alot of open wet wound there.....I would be sure that this tort is restricted to an entirely sterile environment (no substrate, no dirt material at all) I would use a really thick soft layering of clean white paper towels or white cotton t shirt folded over until soft...I would place the tortoise in an area that you can keep quiet, out of foot traffic and in a place that you can kinda keep in dim lighting (I would obtain a che and or black heat light, no bright lights right now) and be sure that you can maintain a constant heat of no less than 85 degrees...I would not soak the tort, but I would flush the wound sites with tepid water (you can do this with either a spray bottle mist setting or a squeeze bottle)...I would plan to do this about 4 to five times per day for a week to begin with...be slow and gentle and slow slow slow movement around this little one...remember, he literally was in the jaws of death and he knows it....

Do you have a well known tortoise specific vet near you? If you do, then I would try to contact that office and see if their doctor can accept emailed pics of the damage (I would hesitate to cause additional stress to the tort by tossing him into a box then into the car) to see if you can get their instruction and to also get a high grade antibiotic that a doctor can prescribe....

Where are you located in the world? Perhaps a versed Forum member will be near you to offer you hands on aid?

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
My heart just cries out for this poor tort! I can't imagine how devastated you must be, and how terrified your tort is.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Thanks for the info! Ive heard of a tortoise vet around here and they have a lot of goof things to say about him but ive never seen him myself. I might try the whole emailing thing if he allows it. I live in Manteca California. Thr vet ive heard was good is only from online reviews. But his name is Dr Kahler in modesto California at vma

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
Omg your poor baby! That looks very painful :( Definitely call the vet asap!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I am so sorry what happened. please keep us posted what the vet said ,bring him there as soon as possible. good luck

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I am not laying any sort of blame so dont take it as such. But I now understand why I cant even bare the thought of letting Cooper out of my sight. I hope your guy returns to great health! And I know you never meant for such a bad thing to happen. Please keep us posted....

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
He usually doesn't get out of my sight. But hes going to be two next month so i thought it was time for him to permanently be outside. it was literally his third night outside in his enclosure and he got out. :(

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Poor sweet tortie! :( I hope he will be okay & please keep us posted!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
So we went to the vet and he said he looks good and is the least severe one hes seen all year. I have to give him antibiotics twice a day and mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays he has to go back to get a shot of antibiotics.

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
That's awesome!! Glad to hear! Sorry you and him both had to learn a lesson the hard way :( keep us posted and post some pics!!!

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
This is him today. Ill keep posting pictures as his wounds improve. I just think he has the cutest little face.

Attachments

• 1375575124255.jpg
    1375575124255.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 118

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Oh poor babyyy! He has a gorgeous face! He looks better already. Keep us posted. And update your enclosures security! ;)

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
His encolosure is safe. It was my lack of brain function that day!! Hes getting a new bigger one, especially after I put him through this!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am glad he is going to be okay. He sure does have the sweetest face.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
He really does!!! Even when he was at the vet he wasnt even shy he was just lookin at the vet being all cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.