Tortoise injured :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
My two year old tortoise dug out of his cage last night and found a dog. The dog bit off the front part of his shell, the part by his head. Theres no other injuries or puncture marks. Hes petrified now though and wont come out of his shell. We put him inside in the bathtub cause its the cleanest area that he has room in. I want to know how to make it comfortable for his stay inside. What to put in there that wont help an infection. What food would be best for him to eat right now. What do I soak him in to clean it? How do I clean it? I live in manteca ca so I can get to big cities quickly like sf or Sacramento if they have more options for cleaning supplies for him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That type of shell injury is not life-threatening. Just clean it like you would clean a skinned knee on your child. If you think it's necessary, you can apply some NeoSporin after its cleaned.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Oh my! Poor lil thing. He'll soon perk up with time and rest. Just let him calm down and destress. Keep the wound clean with things people suggest. Sorry I can't be more help I just hope hes okay soon!

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Neosporin will work? Should I get the spray kind so that nothing actually touches the clean wound? Is he in pain? I can always take him to a reptile vet to get something for pain.

Thanks! I think ill try his favorite foods to help him out of his shell. Im so shocked he managed to dig completely out of his enclosure. I feel terrible not being able to go back and stop it. :(

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am so sorry this happened!!I know exactly how you feel. My dog got a hold of mine and tried to burry him!! He was not hurt thank goodness!! I just felt terrible it happened. I hear so many stories on here and I have always watched my dog when he goes out. I looked away for one second and it happened!! I hope your guy will be ok!! Good luck!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I was just in Manteca picking up a rescue. I wish I had known about this injury I would have offered to stop by and see it. If you want to send some pictures to me I can help guide you.
Central Valley turtle and tortoise rescue league
[email protected]

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Shell is made of keratin, like nail. So it SHOULDN'T be hurting him. But when a human nail is cut too low it hurts doesn't it. So, if he was my tortoise, I would take him to a vet to be sure but its upto you. How does he react when you touch it? Is it bleeding or anything? I don't even know if shells bleed....

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
first of all, i'm so sorry this happened and i know how bad you feel, it would help if we knew exactly what the injury looks like so if you could post a picture, when you get home from school, we could help get the little guy on the road to recovery!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
The shell does indeed have an outer keratin layer. But directly underneath that is bone with both a blood supply and nerve endings. I often referr to these pictures posted by another TFO member. Whom I would happily credit if I could remember who it was! This is a cross section of a shell from a leopard tortoise.

Attachments

• halfshell013.jpg
    halfshell013.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 209
  • halfshell015.jpg
    halfshell015.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 215

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Yes there is bone under all of the shell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Animals tune out pain better than we do. He probably doesn't even notice it anymore. He's hiding because he's been through a traumatic experience. It will take some time for him to realize he's safe again.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
How long should he stsy in the house for? I know he loves being outside but if its better for him inside ill keep him in there as long as he needs it

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Yeah a pic would most definitely help. Then we can give better advice on what you should do. I understand you may still be in class. Could your mum forward you a pic?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
[DISAPPOINTED FACE]

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.