Tortoise in Wisconsin

Jsczerzen

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hey all,
Live in southeast Wisconsin and I am looking at getting either a Russian or a Hermanns tortoise. Looking to keep them outside most of the year besides winter. For the colder nights and days would a mini Greenhouse with a heat light or ceramic heat lamp work to keep the greenhouse warm? Bringing them inside when it’s freezing in the winter. Any resources would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all,
Live in southeast Wisconsin and I am looking at getting either a Russian or a Hermanns tortoise. Looking to keep them outside most of the year besides winter. For the colder nights and days would a mini Greenhouse with a heat light or ceramic heat lamp work to keep the greenhouse warm? Bringing them inside when it’s freezing in the winter. Any resources would be greatly appreciated!
Hello and welcome. Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Definitely look at the temps they can handle because I think it’s probably too cold outside for much of the year unless you build a heated enclosure which in WI winters will be hard (ex-Chicagoan here!). I mean, I live in LA and only leave mine outside full time for maybe 4 months, because night temps shouldn’t get below 60…