Sulcata Heist in Wisconsin

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Dude had to be pretty brazen to pull this off (not to mention stupid).

See the video: https://www.wthr.com/article/caught-on-camera-grand-theft-tortoise

WEST ALLIS, Wis. (WTMJ) - Police in Wisconsin are looking for a man who carried out a pricey tortoise heist at a pet store.

The man stole five Sulcata Tortoises from Pet World last Monday night, according to NBC station WTMJ.

Surveillance video shows the man walking into the store and past several cameras before reaching into the reptile enclosure and grabbing the tortoises.

"He easily opened the flap and then just stuck his arm in and seemed to put them in his sleeve," according to sales associate Maxine Niedzielski.

The tortoises can grow to be as big as three feet long and weigh more than 200 pounds, and they need special care.

"Even when they are full grown adults, the weather outside in Wisconsin is not fit at all for them and it wouldn't take much time for them to pass along," Niedzielski said.

The animals aren't cheap either. At $179.99 per tortoise, that's a nearly $1,000 theft.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I feel sorry for them and also puzzled how this could just happen like that with no intervention?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I paid $79, I believe, for Charlie over 18 years ago. $180 doesn't seem out of line to me. Why are they selling a creature in Wisconsin that can't survive there without having to spend half its life stuck in a heated barn?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I paid $79, I believe, for Charlie over 18 years ago. $180 doesn't seem out of line to me. Why are they selling a creature in Wisconsin that can't survive there without having to spend half its life stuck in a heated barn?
I think we all know why they do this.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

When I was researching torts, I had my heart set on a sulcata. Majestic looking things and I loved their appearance and mannerisms. This forum actually swayed me away from adopting one due to the colder climate I live in, not to mention my yard is not big enough to accommodate one. They sell them cheap (comparatively speaking), but the maintenance costs for them can set you back a good chunk of change ESPECIALLY if trying to raise one in colder climates. I think the electric bills from the heating systems alone would eventually run me into bankruptcy. lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most around here are 85-100. I think it's funny they think they will just die being in Wisconsin. Any tortoise living any where needs added heat. Some just more then others.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Most around here are 85-100. I think it's funny they think they will just die being in Wisconsin. Any tortoise living any where needs added heat. Some just more then others.
I agree, I live in Michigan and have a sulcata. I'm sure there will be added challenges and hurdles along the way trying to raise it during the cold months in winter. But as long as it is provided proper care and treatment, and you have the means and resources to provide this, I think they could thrive.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, I live in Michigan and have a sulcata. I'm sure there will be added challenges and hurdles along the way trying to raise it during the cold months in winter. But as long as it is provided proper care and treatment, and you have the means and resources to provide this, I think they could thrive.
As adults they have even been allowed to go outside in the snow on those warmer sunny days as Long as they have a warm place to go into.
There are many owners with sulcata in the snow pictures.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
As adults they have even been allowed to go outside in the snow on those warmer sunny days as Long as they have a warm place to go into.
Since I've joined I've seen a few of those pictures, I have to admit they almost caught me off guard. They almost look Majestic.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I didn't mean to imply that sulcatas couldn't be raised in Wisconsin. What concerns me is the number of buyers who don't know how big they get and what they need to thrive since it takes a big commitment in that climate. It seems like a high percentage of these babies won't have an happy outcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't mean to imply that sulcatas couldn't be raised in Wisconsin. What concerns me is the number of buyers who don't know how big they get and what they need to thrive since it takes a big commitment in that climate. It seems like a high percentage of these babies won't have an happy outcome.
The video, store owner/worker implied it. That's what I thought was kinda funny. They are selling them and then imply that can't survive in WI.
I have leopards. They are housed inside a heated shed in winter. In spring and summer, that shed is opened up during the day so they can go in and out whenever, except at night. I gotta tell ya. About 95% of the time I have to put them out and shut the door so they stay out. They'd rather be inside. I think if raised this way, in colder temp areas, I don't think they much care. Now, if an adult is brought from living outside most of its days in say Florida to a state like say Wisconsin, where it has to now spend 4-6 months in a heated shed, then I think it might have a harder time.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hey Big Charlie, I hope my post about living in Michigan didn't come across overly defensive. I think living in a cold state with a sulcata may have made me a little sensitive about the subject. I have to admit after reading a lot of post where keepers struggle to manage a sulcata tortoise in a warm state, I know I have my work cut out for me.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hey Big Charlie, I hope my post about living in Michigan didn't come across overly defensive. I think living in a cold state with a sulcata may have made me a little sensitive about the subject. I have to admit after reading a lot of post where keepers struggle to manage a sulcata tortoise in a warm state, I know I have my work cut out for me.
No problem! I would be defensive too due to the attitude of some forum members who imply that people in cold states shouldn't have large tortoises that don't brumate.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
No problem! I would be defensive too due to the attitude of some forum members who imply that people in cold states shouldn't have large tortoises that don't brumate.

I hope you didn't take offense to what I said either @Big Charlie. I only meant to say that a sulcata would not be in the cards for me, personally. I simply don't have enough property to support one (back yard is only .15 acres). I also worry about the time commitment needed to care for one up here. I travel all over on business which would leave my wife to have to care for it in my absence. Once the tort got too big, she would definitely have problems. A leopard... not so much. She can handle the weight of a leopard. I have the care instructions printed out and attached to its enclosure, so there's never any question about its care. Truth be told... if I were retired, had the land and $$ to do so, I'd be keeping aldabras! ;)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I hope you didn't take offense to what I said either @Big Charlie. I only meant to say that a sulcata would not be in the cards for me, personally. I simply don't have enough property to support one (back yard is only .15 acres). I also worry about the time commitment needed to care for one up here. I travel all over on business which would leave my wife to have to care for it in my absence. Once the tort got too big, she would definitely have problems. A leopard... not so much. She can handle the weight of a leopard. I have the care instructions printed out and attached to its enclosure, so there's never any question about its care. Truth be told... if I were retired, had the land and $$ to do so, I'd be keeping aldabras! ;)
I wasn't offended; I was worried I offended others! I have to admit that my sulcata purchase was not well researched. I knew he would get big, which was one of the attractions, but I didn't really think about what that meant. Thankfully, in California it isn't too difficult. During the summer, we can travel and he takes care of himself. In winter he does mostly too, but I still check everyday to make sure he put himself to bed. There have been times when he didn't, and we have to get help to move him.

I didn't know about aldabras when I got Charlie. Having one would be awesome! But I wouldn't make Charlie lose part of his yard so I'll stay at only having one tortoise.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I didn't read the article so I don't know the sizes that were stolen, but hatchings in pet stores here in San Diego sell for $90-$100. Every now and then they go on sale for $50.

Sub adults are priced around $200-$300.

Sue Andreski

Holiday, FL
I feel sorry for them and also puzzled how this could just happen like that with no intervention?
It's fairly easy in most 'big box' pet stores. There are too few employees to watch out for shoplifting and frankly, many employees just don't care.