RB radiant heat panel?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I ordered a 80 watt panel from Reptile basics.. To heat my Russian tortoise hide...the hide is 18" x 40" with a ceiling height of 6". .. This enclosure is outside.. So want something that can keep temps in the 70* on those 30* winter nights..

Will a 80watt panel put out enough heat? The hide has a dirt floor(6" deep).. How close can the panel be to the Russian tortoises without getting burnt??

Any help would be appreciated..Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Only your thermometer can answer this question. Too many variables for us to guess.

I would want the panel to be at least 6 inches from the top of the tortoises carapace.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Only your thermometer can answer this question. Too many variables for us to guess.

I would want the panel to be at least 6 inches from the top of the tortoises carapace.

Tom I read you have a few of theRB panels... Does it give off heat like a CHE? How far can you feel the heat..

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I agree with what Tom said however my tortoises have grown enough there is no longer 6 inches between their carapace and the Radiant heat panels. Their shells are not suffering any harm. Seems to be a much much larger safety margin with Radiant heaters. That said maybe you can reduce the depth of your substrate to create some more vertical space.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I agree with what Tom said however my tortoises have grown enough there is no longer 6 inches between their carapace and the Radiant heat panels. Their shells are not suffering any harm. Seems to be a much much larger safety margin with Radiant heaters. That said maybe you can reduce the depth of your substrate to create some more vertical space.

I can raise the ceiling ....(there is insulated dead space between ceiling and actual roof...)... Just wonder how much heat they put out...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom I read you have a few of theRB panels... Does it give off heat like a CHE? How far can you feel the heat..

It takes the heat of an 80 watt CHE and spreads it out evenly over that large surface. The heat doesn't carry as far as a CHE, but I don't use them to simulate the sun for basking. I use them to raise the background ambient temp in my night boxes or closed chambers, and they work well for this purpose.

How far can you feel the heat? I don't know. I've never really measured. You have to have your hand in a closed off area and leave it sitting under the panel for a while.