What do you think about "Rubbermaid 300 gal. Stock Tank" to use as a pond for fish and fly river turtle?

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
My FRT is getting huge and was going to rehome him with someone who would take good care of him as he is about15 years old and getting huge. However, I may just keep him as he is such a happy guy. What do you think these Rubbermaid 300 gal. Stock Tank For Livestock safe for turtles and fish? I know people are using them for them but I want to get your opinion.

Thanks Y'all

IMG_1266.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Toddrick, Thank you for responding so quickly! They sell them on amazon delivered cheaper that I can get them from the tractor place! yay!
Really? I might have to look into that. ?
Look into Bestway brand pools too.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
OMG! I wanna jump in with my turtle suit and pool float!?? ? ?

However we got wild raccoons, possums and two (somewhat wild dogs) that would love to scratch their way into the pond. I will have to go sturdy and put a wire top on the pond to keep out extra funny business.

Last edited:

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I like the stock tanks, those liner pools are not durable enough for me. But, I personally think 300 gallons is too small for this species.

There are 9’ round by 2’ deep stock tanks available for not much more $$, and industrial containers get much bigger, for a price that is give or take $1 per gallon or less.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
OMG! I wanna jump in with my turtle suit and pool float!?? ? ?

However we got wild raccoons, possums and two (somewhat wild dogs) that would love to scratch their way into the pond. I will have to go sturdy and put a wire top on the pond to keep out extra funny business.
turtle suit????

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
I like the stock tanks, those liner pools are not durable enough for me. But, I personally think 300 gallons is too small for this species.

There are 9’ round by 2’ deep stock tanks available for not much more $$, and industrial containers get much bigger, for a price that is give or take $1 per gallon or less.

turtlesteve, do you know where I can locate a larger tank in my area Anaheim CA? Please let me know! That would be awesome! The places I saw to get the the larger tanks are ok priced but the shipping is expensive.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I believe @ZEROPILOT did something similiar but he built a wood frame around it. You could easily install a lid over it.
This seems to have mostly eliminated the issues with predators and UV degradation of the plastic.
I'm using these for fish.
Poke some BIG holes in the bottom, throw in some mulch, and they are baby Redfoot holding pens.
These are about 1,100 gallons each and I paid less than $175 for the pair!
(I have homemade filters on them)

Attachments

• 20190424_145948.jpg
    20190424_145948.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20190429_131136.jpg
    20190429_131136.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190505_074859.jpg
    20190505_074859.jpg
    968 KB · Views: 33

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
This seems to have mostly eliminated the issues with predators and UV degradation of the plastic.
I'm using these for fish.
Poke some BIG holes in the bottom, throw in some mulch, and they are baby Redfoot holding pens.
These are about 1,100 gallons each and I paid less than $175 for the pair!
(I have homemade filters on them)
?This is very cool! I'm going to look into I would have to put my hard hat on do some constructin'. I'm going to measure and see if this works for us. ?Thanks ZEROPILOT and method89!⚒

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
turtlesteve, do you know where I can locate a larger tank in my area Anaheim CA? Please let me know! That would be awesome! The places I saw to get the the larger tanks are ok priced but the shipping is expensive.

The large tanks are called containment tanks and they are rotomolded. No operations in CA that I know of. The two manufacturers I know of are DenHartog (Ace Roto-mold) and Norwesco. It's a matter of calling distributors until you find someone that will cut you a break on shipping costs, because they stock them somewhere or get regular shipments. Norwesco has a distributor list on their website, not sure about Ace.

I really love some of the HUGE tanks but I had to settle for something that would fit on a utility trailer, and then inside my garage doors. If I ever get into breeding turtles that need 50/50 water/land, I'd be tempted to get the 1300 gallon Norwesco tank, if I could figure out how to get it shipped reasonably. It's like the waterland tubs, on steroids.

https://norwesco.com/_site_components/uploads/pdfs/Containment/1300 Gallon Contaiment.pdf

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
The large tanks are called containment tanks and they are rotomolded. No operations in CA that I know of. The two manufacturers I know of are DenHartog (Ace Roto-mold) and Norwesco. It's a matter of calling distributors until you find someone that will cut you a break on shipping costs, because they stock them somewhere or get regular shipments. Norwesco has a distributor list on their website, not sure about Ace.

I really love some of the HUGE tanks but I had to settle for something that would fit on a utility trailer, and then inside my garage doors. If I ever get into breeding turtles that need 50/50 water/land, I'd be tempted to get the 1300 gallon Norwesco tank, if I could figure out how to get it shipped reasonably. It's like the waterland tubs, on steroids.

https://norwesco.com/_site_components/uploads/pdfs/Containment/1300 Gallon Contaiment.pdf
:<3::tort::<3:?Oh My Word... My mouth is drooling! ?? I wish I had the space for it too, I would love to get this massive garage, except it would be my aquariums and turtle tank room.??

FYI i have 3 Waterland tubs 2 small water and 1med land I used them for the various stages of my turtles and tortoises when they were younger. They work really great and had them for 13 years but i don't have Pete's biggest one which is only 120 gal of water. So I need bigger.

Thanks turtlesteve for your great info!?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I have a 300g stock tank that I got off of craigslist for $60... when I get around to it, one of my torts will be getting it as a new indoor home.

Jamie