Tortoise in fire

ladyjean22

5 Year Member
My tortoise Vern was in my house when it burned... she survived and we rushed her to the vet. They put her on oxygen for the night and cleaned her up... she is still breathing heavily but we have antibiotics and burn cream... anyone have any ideas I can do to help her heal? Any thoughts are welcome

Attachments

• 1396628434595.jpg
    1396628434595.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 1396628454072.jpg
    1396628454072.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 186
  • 1396628687299.jpg
    1396628687299.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 1396628702638.jpg
    1396628702638.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 181

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just keep her clean and soak her to keep her hydrated . Treat her burns just like you would treat yourself . If she's showing significant breathing problems I would take her back to the vet .

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Wow, one of my worst nightmares! :( I'm glad your tortoise is relatively OK. I hope she heals up quickly!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Aww poor baby! I hope she recovers quickly!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I hope both of your house and her recovered from the burn very quickly.

Best Lucky and wishes.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Aloe maybe?

" most people use aloe gel topically, as a remedy for skin conditions including burns, sunbu[/align]rn, frostbite, psoriasis, and cold sores "

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Salli:

Tortoises live through fire all the time. I hope Vern is going to be ok. Is your house a total loss?

Skymall007

5 Year Member
For humans one of the most important things is hydration and clean environment to prevent infection. I imagine it is the same for them but I don't know. I hope your house and baby will be ok. I can't imagine this! It is one of my worst fears.

ladyjean22

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. The house wasn't a total loss but a lot of stuff is.. but Vern is alive :)

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
I would also agree that the biggest thing to worry about is infection and hydration. Human burns make people lose a lot of fluids and can cause dehydration as well as your electrolytes being lost and thrown off balance. I would say do lots of soaks. But rinse her off well before putting her in her soaking water so that her burns aren't soaking in her dirty water. And make sure if she poos in it you clean the water out. For people a good variety of nutrition and vitamins would be important to help with electrolyte loss. Not sure about torts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I wonder if pedialyte would be a good idea to add to the water for the electrolytes

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, so glad your house wasn't lost or any lives. Quick recovery wishes for your tort and your house recovery.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Re: RE: Tortoise in fire

Skymall007 said:
I wonder if pedialyte would be a good idea to add to the water for the electrolytes

That's a good point. I'm not sure if electrolytes/vitamins can absorb through a torts skin. Idk how torts bodies work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh my, poor baby! This is one of the things I always dread, How would I get all the animals out in time? Then if the house burnt down where would I go and with all my animals? I'm so sorry this happened to you, I hope all goes well from here on and your tort baby gets better. :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
less strawberries.. one is fine.. but she needs grasses.. high fiber foods.. you don't want to add intestinal distress to her discomfort..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would think that a high humidity environment/hide would be good for the tort right now....I don't mean let the tort slop round in mud and such, but potentially a warm water vapor humidifier would be good...I also would not use newspaper...the ink can transfer to the tort...I would use like white thick/expensive type paper towel or even white cotton towels for the flooring until any of the burn areas heal over....scab up.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
Glad Vern is doing better. Hope Vern is liking the orchid hay and TNT vitamins I sent.

Glad to find you here on Turtle Forum. (Frankie Tortoise Tails are posted here at Tortoise Forum under General Tortoise Discussion)