Fourth of july dog attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

lampshade

5 Year Member
So, on the fourth our rottweiler got hold a hold of fluffy! We rushed her to our vet instantly and he said it was bad :( but she will heal! The front of her shell is completley gashed and torn but her legs and head are fine. I have to clean her wounds two times a day and give her shots in her front legs once a day. Pictures soon to come! But please please please if you have dogs pay attention CLOSLEY! It is truley a tramatic experience for you and the tort! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear this. But haven't you seen the threads on here about dogs and torts don't mix? Never, ever, ever, no matter the size of dog, obedient the dog, smart the dog, no matter how well trained and friendly and cute and laid back, NO MATTER WHAT. A dog should never have access to a tort unless supervised and that supervision. Should be you are doing nothing but watching the dog and keeping it from being able to touch the tort. I hope all goes well and he does heal fine. I also wish everyone could see the threads about this subject and learn before these accidents happen. Sorry if this sounds harsh. I don't mean it to be. I know you didn't do it on purpose and it was just an accident. I don't want to make you feel bad. Your not the first and unfortunately probably won't be the last. Things happen. As long as everyone is okay and you do learn from it.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Oh no! Not another dog attacking tortoise story :( I agree with what wellington said and I just hope he heals fast!! Make sure you keep the wound away from infections and bacteria.

lampshade

5 Year Member
My tort was in a secure area away from the dogs but the dog actually broke down the gate! (Even though shes blind) must have smelled my tortoise :( she is healing already though so all is well :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
lampshade said:
My tort was in a secure area away from the dogs but the dog actually broke down the gate! (Even though shes blind) must have smelled my tortoise :( she is healing already though so all is well :)

Glad to hear she is doing good. The things dogs can do is amazing. I am surprised she is blind and got it that easily. But they do say when you lose one of the senses, the others get better. I would imagine it's the same with dogs. Although their sense of smell is fantastic anyway. Hope the improving continues. Maybe put a lid over the tort when they are outside alone, so the dog would have to go through that too, if she ever breaks through the gate again.

lampshade

5 Year Member
Its been a week and fluffy is healing so fast i cant even belive it! Still working on getting those pictures.

lampshade

5 Year Member
Here is a couple days after the attack (about 4)

image-515475952.png

Picture

Attachments

• image-518789767.png
    image-518789767.png
    257.9 KB · Views: 46

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Oh goodness. I am so happy to hear your tortoise is okay. I envision if my wiener dog got ahold of either of my little ones...I cringe! Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.