Wounded Tortoise 😔

Sophsophes49

Location (City and/or State)
Taunton, Somerset
Hi, my 9 month year old Hermann tortoise was wounded by my dog who chewed some of her shell. She is with the vets now and is being treated. She is going to be given some antibiotics and the shell will be cleaned. The key concerns are that there is a puncture at the back of her shell and at the front where a tiny part of her lung is exposed. Any advice will be gratefully received! She is moving about and appears active. We have been told to keep her on newspaper for a while when we pick her up.

Attachments

• 009E62E5-8E65-421B-9ABD-FD6AF326702E.jpeg
    009E62E5-8E65-421B-9ABD-FD6AF326702E.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 6

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I've seen turtles and tortoises survive worst. I have a box turtle names RT. That was half eaten by a raccoon. I found him in a ditch and took pictures because i thought he was dead. His wounds were filled with maggots, and blood raced from his nose. When he moved, u ran him home and treated him. It took years for his skin and she'll to heal, but now he is one of my most beautiful turtles.

Attachments

• 20220411_075820.jpg
    20220411_075820.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry this happened. This is why we are always telling people dogs and tortoises don't mix ever. No matter how well trained the dog is, the tortoise will always get damaged
Hard to tell by the pic but is he 9 months or 9 years, you wrote it making it confusing?
Yes, I wouldn't keep him on dirt and any small substrate. Paper towels or news paper until he starts to heal over.
Orchid bark should then be used.
Be sure to keep the area clean and fly free. Hopefully the vets will know what to do. It will take a long time to heal over.
@Yvonne G

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I hope he gets better.

Sophsophes49

Taunton, Somerset
I've seen turtles and tortoises survive worst. I have a box turtle names RT. That was half eaten by a raccoon. I found him in a ditch and took pictures because i thought he was dead. His wounds were filled with maggots, and blood raced from his nose. When he moved, u ran him home and treated him. It took years for his skin and she'll to heal, but now he is one of my most beautiful turtles.
I hope he gets better.
Thank you!

Sophsophes49

Taunton, Somerset
So sorry this happened. This is why we are always telling people dogs and tortoises don't mix ever. No matter how well trained the dog is, the tortoise will always get damaged
Hard to tell by the pic but is he 9 months or 9 years, you wrote it making it confusing?
Yes, I wouldn't keep him on dirt and any small substrate. Paper towels or news paper until he starts to heal over.
Orchid bark should then be used.
Be sure to keep the area clean and fly free. Hopefully the vets will know what to do. It will take a long time to heal over.
@Yvonne G
Thank you, that’s very helpful to know.

Beanmiester

Exeter
Hi, my 9 month year old Hermann tortoise was wounded by my dog who chewed some of her shell. She is with the vets now and is being treated. She is going to be given some antibiotics and the shell will be cleaned. The key concerns are that there is a puncture at the back of her shell and at the front where a tiny part of her lung is exposed. Any advice will be gratefully received! She is moving about and appears active. We have been told to keep her on newspaper for a while when we pick her up.
Poor lil love, hope she’s better soon. Such a cute wee thing 😊

Beanmiester

Exeter
Thank you, she really is isn’t she! She’s home now and doing really well. The vets were so impressed with how tough she is!
That’s great news, I’m glad she’s doing great, I hate when any of my animals are not well. Real great that is well done for taking care of her , she’s truly a gem 🥰

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise are tough but the shell may not grow back the way it was. It is important to avoid fly infection and maggots on the open wound. I expect it is covered currently but take care when the wound needs to breath. Take a day at a time and I really hope it pulls through. It will be very scared and shocked so ensure it has secure space.

Last edited: