Tortoise in Australia

jfoll13

Location (City and/or State)
Maryborough, Qld
Hi, I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone knows of any breeders in Australia or people willing to ship to Australia for cheap-ish. I’m looking for a russian tortoise. From the research I’ve done it is ok to have them in my state, if anyone knows otherwise it would be very helpful.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I can't help you with finding a tort, but I want to welcome you to the forum!

We have quite a few members close to your age.

Just in case you haven't read these yet, you will find them helpful before you get your baby.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

This looks like it might be the closest Zoo to you that would have reptiles/tortoises. I don't know anything about their policies, but you might consider being a volunteer there. That would open the world of who has animals in private hands, the rules and regulations, and maybe even access to getting an animal. You might not bring up your specific interest on your first encounter, give it time and let it play out.

jfoll13

Maryborough, Qld
I can't help you with finding a tort, but I want to welcome you to the forum!

We have quite a few members close to your age.

Just in case you haven't read these yet, you will find them helpful before you get your baby.

Thanks that was very helpful ?

KhairulTort

Colombia
Hi, I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone knows of any breeders in Australia or people willing to ship to Australia for cheap-ish. I’m looking for a russian tortoise. From the research I’ve done it is ok to have them in my state, if anyone knows otherwise it would be very helpful.
Sorry to burst your bubble buddy. But as it stands it’s impossible get tortoises legally in Australia because they’re considered an invasive exotic species. I’ve heard little rumours that it may be possible to find them if you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy, but even if you could, it might not be worth the risk of keeping them because you won’t be able to seek proper veterinary care if things go wrong.
You’ll also be looking at paying what would essentially ‘black market’ prices for even the most common pet tortoise. Over $2000 and up. Either start making friends with a lot of reptile owners till you stumble upon one, or it might be time to get in to lizards? Or visit the zoo instead ?

Alexluise

Coffs Harbour
Hi, try check this out it might be of help

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
i though aussies call turtle "tortoise" ? well go get a native “tortoise” then ---problem solved lol