Tortoise housing

immiexxo

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey everyone!
I just heard my dog barking, which usually means Percy the tort is stuck (they're the best of friends) and Percy was about a foot in the air climbing up the wire of his enclosure!

Anyone else had this problem before? I've only had him about 3 weeks and he's never climbed before. How can I stop this happening?

Also, im going to uni soon and unexpectedly had to just move house up there to a house with no garden! I gave decided to make a large run and allow Percy to spend his days walking around either the basement or my room (ill put rugs down in case of accidents!) Will this be okay for him for a few weeks if I ensure he has plenty of food, water and a light and heat source?
He is a 5 year old Hermanns

Thanks

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's never a good idea to have a Tortoise loose in your house. Don't let your dog loose with the tortoise the dog will chew on the tort or even kill it . You will need at least a 4/8 foot enclosure .

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
An enclosure for the tort I too would suggest.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

immiexxo

UK
I wouldn't just leave him alone in my house, he'd be in an enclosure. Also regarding the dog, they're never left alone and someone is always nearby. The dog barely even goes near the tortoise as she seems quite anxious around him but does protect him from birds and bark if he gets stuck or into difficulty so I don't see a problem there, but like I said, they are never left alone together.

Thank you all for your advice

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Haha thank you! I definitely need this forum just feel like I'm being so annoying with all my questions!x
Not at all, we all learn through reading and asking questions.
We are a community that help each other and want everyone in the world who has a chelonian to come here and ask questions.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm starting to like it here now! :):tort:
I hope so. Sorry I've been offline lately. I wrecked my truck well enough that it was totaled and I'm still in recovery with broken bones but… not only am I weird, I'm also tough and ornery! I'm glad,(personally) that you are here.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
How do you make friends on here though haha I'm lonely
If you head over to off topic chitchat you should find two threads. One titled "Pretend Chat 2:14" and one titled “Cold Dark Room" Keep in mind these two for the most part are non-tortoise threads where we just hang out and B.S. but they do tend to be of a more adult level. I'd welcome you any time I'd see you in either location.