Tortoise travelling on train?!

immiexxo

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Not too sure where to post this one!

In December I'm going to have to take Percy home via train. I've decided to go on the train that takes 8 hours compared to five and a half to save me bringing him through London and the underground etc, and only having to have one calm non-rushed change.

I'm unsure of how to transport him around with me. I will only have a handbag with me as well as Percy, so it won't be any trouble whatever I choose to transport him in.
I have a pet carrier but would he be more comfortable in something else? Any suggestions please?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think something fairly sturdy that you can put a bunch of leaf litter in or something that he can burrow into would be best. Nothing to open, more dark but of course with ventilation. I would make sure he is soaked the night before or if time available the morning of so he does not get dehydrated. I would. It feed him the day you leave until you are at your destination and then soak again and feed.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's going to be cold. There is a microwavable disk that works, but you won't be able to recharge it. Hot water bottles can be refilled from any tap. Plastic bottles work fine, or you can use a dedicated hot water bottle.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
are you going to be traveling to different countries on this train is it legal to bring a tortoise through them?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A sturdy cardboard box with a simple string carry handle would be discrete.
I use a little plastic and wire dog/cat carrier and find that strangers always want to see and ask questions...So if you don't mind.
But if you want discretion, a box is what I'd use. It wont be for very long. Lots of paper towel, etc. Because they like to poop in a box.

Justin 15

are you going to be traveling to different countries on this train is it legal to bring a tortoise through them?

She said she was travelling from London so that wouldn't be an issue because Scotland and Wales have pretty much the Same laws on stuff like that.