Tortoise house

TobyAndMarissa

Location (City and/or State)
Grafton, WI
So lately I've been looking at a new wooden house for Toby instead of using his long. I believe it would benefit him because then he would be surrounded and make him feel more safe. Have you ever seen one of those pet bunny wooden houses with the hole in it. I'm thinking one those might work for him. I mean he's pretty small so I think it would be easy for him to fit in there. I have two photos there, and I'm trying to decide which one would work better for my Russian tortoise.Screenshot_20180601-113104.jpegScreenshot_20180601-113116.jpeg

daniellenc

Maryland
You can just buy a plastic bin from Walmart for a few dollars. Wood will mold over time and cutting an entry into the plastic bins might not be as pretty but will last longer. If your set on these though I’d go for the first one because I’d worry about mine at least trying to climb the hole on the second pic and flipping.

TobyAndMarissa

Grafton, WI
You can just buy a plastic bin from Walmart for a few dollars. Wood will mold over time and cutting an entry into the plastic bins might not be as pretty but will last longer. If your set on these though I’d go for the first one because I’d worry about mine at least trying to climb the hole on the second pic and flipping.
Okay yeah I agree too thanks

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey there. Is it that you don’t like the log, it’s now too small or something else? Really, i don’t think either of those two items make good hides. Have you thought of just getting a small to medium rubbermaid container, cutting an entrance...and your done. Much cheaper, and cozier, and holds in humidity and creates a nice dark spot to hide.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I find my tortoise feels safest in something with a low ceiling; the lower and smaller the better. When we switched her night box to a low lid she immediately took to it whereas she was not likely to use the old one, with its high lid

During the summer she has the regular half log, but you can see in my avatar we built it into a small burrow outside. A low roof, small entry and enough space to turn around, not much more than that. She prefers it over everything else.

That’s a long way of saying I think the smaller and lower the better. You could find something much lower in the plastics aisle than a rabbit box.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I find my tortoise feels safest in something with a low ceiling; the lower and smaller the better. When we switched her night box to a low lid she immediately took to it whereas she was not likely to use the old one, with its high lid

During the summer she has the regular half log, but you can see in my avatar we built it into a small burrow outside. A low roof, small entry and enough space to turn around, not much more than that. She prefers it over everything else.

That’s a long way of saying I think the smaller and lower the better. You could find something much lower in the plastics aisle than a rabbit box.

Yep, totally concur. They like tight fighting, close quarters to feel snug and safe.