New enclosure thoughts please

Ribena

Location (City and/or State)
Cardiff UK
022FD4DB-29D2-493C-BA8C-B2A9CBEF6631.jpeg
In my kitchen near my backyard door I have a walk in old pantry , as my dude is getting a bit big now for his tortoise table I was thinking of this to house him , it’s about 7 ft by 4 ft and I thought I would cut out a gap in tortoise table so he could come and go as he pleases and have a wander in there whilst I at work , his basking light and UVA strip light can still be attached to his table and was thinking of Timothy hay on the tiled floor and pebbles , it has no door so would put a low wooden barrier to keep him in the enclosure while I’m at work , he goes out in garden for a few hours every day so he won’t be in there constantly just when I’m at work , I just feel it’s nicer for him to have more roam space , what are people’s thoughts ? Be interested to see what people advise ? Thanks

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
View attachment 302247
In my kitchen near my backyard door I have a walk in old pantry , as my dude is getting a bit big now for his tortoise table I was thinking of this to house him , it’s about 7 ft by 4 ft and I thought I would cut out a gap in tortoise table so he could come and go as he pleases and have a wander in there whilst I at work , his basking light and UVA strip light can still be attached to his table and was thinking of Timothy hay on the tiled floor and pebbles , it has no door so would put a low wooden barrier to keep him in the enclosure while I’m at work , he goes out in garden for a few hours every day so he won’t be in there constantly just when I’m at work , I just feel it’s nicer for him to have more roam space , what are people’s thoughts ? Be interested to see what people advise ? Thanks
I like the idea of using this space to enlarge his current table, with free access from one to another.

However, keep in mind that it's very cold on the floor...too cold for any tort to live there.

What species is he? Is he an adult?

Ribena

Cardiff UK
He’s a 5 yr old Russian , was going to cover the floor with Timothy hay and all his cococoir in the table as usual the tiled area being just for a stretch of his legs when felt like it , he will have access himself to get back in the tortoise table with his basking light and uva strip lamp ?

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Russian's need at least an 8 × 4 ft enclosure. It would be nice for him to have the space. He would need a heat lamp, like a 65 watt flood bulb.