Tortoise having eyes closed

Torty23

Location (City and/or State)
Middle East
Hi, my tortoise is having her eyes closed all the time for roughly a week now , i read it could be dehydration so i soaked her and when i put her in water she opens her eyes and keeps them open till she sleep,when she wakes up, she closes her eyes again , apart from that everything looks normal to me
Note : it's impossible for me to take her to a vet sadly so any help would be great

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
Pictures of enclosure? What have you been feeding her? What bulbs do you use for the enclosure? (If you are using coiled UVB bulbs remove them immediately)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, my tortoise is having her eyes closed all the time for roughly a week now , i read it could be dehydration so i soaked her and when i put her in water she opens her eyes and keeps them open till she sleep,when she wakes up, she closes her eyes again , apart from that everything looks normal to me
Note : it's impossible for me to take her to a vet sadly so any help would be great
What species? Age? Size? What bulbs are you using for heating and lighting? What are your four temperatures/ Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?

We need more info to help.

Torty23

Middle East
What species? Age? Size? What bulbs are you using for heating and lighting? What are your four temperatures/ Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?

We need more info to help.
Greek tortoise....Age around 2 or 2 and a half years judging from the shell , i'm using UV Bulbs for heat and light although they are only mostly used to wake her up then she goes and sits in the sun for the entire day pretty much ,
It's around 15 degrees C during the day and gets to like 4 C degrees during the night (i'm not certain about what the four temperatures thing)

Torty23

Middle East
Greek tortoise....Age around 2 or 2 and a half years judging from the shell , i'm using UV Bulbs for heat and light although they are only mostly used to wake her up then she goes and sits in the sun for the entire day pretty much ,
It's around 15 degrees C during the day and gets to like 4 C degrees during the night (i'm not certain about what the four temperatures thing)
Size is roughly 12cm length and 9.5cm width

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I think your temp's are way too low. 4° C is 39° F, and just above freezing.....and 15°C is 59°F.
The 15° could be the night time temp, but I would think the daytime needs to be higher in the vicinity of 26°C

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Here's a care sheet of Greek's
C/o of @HermanniChris

Torty23

Middle East
Here's a care sheet of Greek's
C/o of @HermanniChris
thanks i will read that......Also any suggestions on how i can achieve that kind of temp ? idk if uvb lamps can achieve that ?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
thanks i will read that......Also any suggestions on how i can achieve that kind of temp ? idk if uvb lamps can achieve that ?
If you don't already have a closed environment, that would be the way to go.
And . . I would use a CHE (Ceramic Heating Element/Emitter) for your heat source.
That way, it is Dark at night for them to sleep. UVA/B lights need not be left on all the time....

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If she "sits in the sun" for the entire day, which may be because she is desperately trying to warm up, then she will soon be massively dehydrated, and probably expire soon. Please read the care sheets for this species!
Very best of luck!

Torty23

Middle East
If she "sits in the sun" for the entire day, which may be because she is desperately trying to warm up, then she will soon be massively dehydrated, and probably expire soon. Please read the care sheets for this species!
Very best of luck!
Well not the entire day but for quite a bit of time.... Also i have started bathing her regulary.... Any how thanks i will keep that mind

Torty23

Middle East
If you don't already have a closed environment, that would be the way to go.
And . . I would use a CHE (Ceramic Heating Element/Emitter) for your heat source.
That way, it is Dark at night for them to sleep. UVA/B lights need not be left on all the time....
Alright.... So her enclousre isnt covered so I can't really controll the temperature for her speratly but i could control the whole room but not for the entire day. So how long at least should i keep it warm?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Alright.... So her enclousre isnt covered so I can't really controll the temperature for her speratly but i could control the whole room but not for the entire day. So how long at least should i keep it warm?
You are either going to do what is necessary to ensure her health or lose her. Temperatures have to be controlled, also humidity level.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Alright.... So her enclosure isn't covered so I can't really control the temperature for her separately but I could control the whole room but not for the entire day. So how long at least should I keep it warm?
For short period's of time she can be in a lower temp, BUT . . for good digestion she needs to be in a warm Humid environment 24/7, and movement, that helps the food move through her GI tract. Additionally she needs to be soaked frequently for hydration. My leopard rarely "drink's", but durring a soak he drink's and takes in water through his vent. Then here comes the BM.

Torty23

Middle East
For short period's of time she can be in a lower temp, BUT . . for good digestion she needs to be in a warm Humid environment 24/7, and movement, that helps the food move through her GI tract. Additionally she needs to be soaked frequently for hydration. My leopard rarely "drink's", but durring a soak he drink's and takes in water through his vent. Then here comes the BM.
Alright thank you very much for the help....I will try my best to keep her warm and see if that helps

Torty23

Middle East
You are either going to do what is necessary to ensure her health or lose her. Temperatures have to be controlled, also humidity level.
I really don't want to lose her but i sadly don't have that many options...I will try what i can though

Torty23

Middle East
Ahem so after reading the Sheet i figured using a substrate is a must (it's something that i can't get sadly) , So can i use reptile mat instead ?

Torty23

Middle East
Also another thing...Sadly i also don't have that many feeding options apart from stuff at the Grocery's
So what are the most useful veges i could buy for her ?
(I'm starting to feel like the most ignorant tortoise keeper and I'm very sad and anxious right now )

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Also another thing...Sadly i also don't have that many feeding options apart from stuff at the Grocery's
So what are the most useful veges i could buy for her ?
(I'm starting to feel like the most ignorant tortoise keeper and I'm very sad and anxious right now )
Take it easy. . . WE all have different circumstances.
It's about doing the best that you can, for the Tort, and keeping everything safe.
Grocery store available greens like curly endive, collard greens, turnip greens, chicory, escarole, and dandelion can be fed, I believe even Cactus Pad.