Baby redfoot wont open eyes!

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
I give them pumpkin too once a week. I boil it for a few minutes and wait to cool down.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
The thing is why you think this is only happening to the little one and nothing to the other two??? They are growing ok and their weight is ok.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I give them pumpkin too once a week. I boil it for a few minutes and wait to cool down.

Hmmm, maybe its not a vit a deficiency then. I give mine something orange once a week also. I would try the saline solution but it could be something else.

You should check her eyes really closely when you can under some good light and see if there is any white/cloudy spot near the pupil or iris because that would be an infection and would need to be treated with antibiotics.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Hmmm, maybe its not a vit a deficiency then. I give mine something orange once a week also. I would try the saline solution but it could be something else.

You should check her eyes really closely when you can under some good light and see if there is any white/cloudy spot near the pupil or iris because that would be an infection and would need to be treated with antibiotics.

Well there have been some occations where I found some small whites stuff in her eyes and had to get a wet qtip and remove it carefully. Also she scratch her eyer a lots with her legs and get in the water a lot and take her head underwater for a few seconds.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well there have been some occations where I found some small whites stuff in her eyes and had to get a wet qtip and remove it carefully. Also she scratch her eyer a lots with her legs and get in the water a lot and take her head underwater for a few seconds.
But I havent seen any signs of weird noises or any RI. Probably could by the substrate?? That mamybe she is too young for the dirt substrate?

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
It definitely seems light her eyes are irritated by something right now from the sounds of it. I would give the saline solution a few tries because that can get bacteria out.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
It definitely seems light her eyes are irritated by something right now from the sounds of it. I would give the saline solution a few tries because that can get bacteria out.
Just to be sure. The saline solution you say is the one the we use like when someone have asthma? The plastic bottle that you break the tip??

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
But I havent seen any signs of weird noises or any RI. Probably could by the substrate?? That mamybe she is too young for the dirt substrate?

She might be getting substrate in her eyes. Maybe she is having trouble with the substrate? I don't know I haven't had that problem except when almost a year ago I let the substrate in their outside enclosures get to dry and then one of my sullies was having eye problems for a bit and I had to take him to the vet. I always made sure the substrate never got dry like that again. Of course too wet substrate can be a really bad prob also.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Just to be sure. The saline solution you say is the one the we use like when someone have asthma? The plastic bottle that you break the tip??

The saline solution I use when I think something is going on with one of my torts is the stuff you would use for contact lenses. Though probably any saline solution might be fine, it's just a certain amount of salt and water after all. Though the asthma stuff might have a different salinity.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
The saline solution I use when I think something is going on with one of my torts is the stuff you would use for contact lenses. Though probably any saline solution might be fine, it's just a certain amount of salt and water after all. Though the asthma stuff might have a different salinity.
Ohh okay! I think I know what it is. And I think we are getting into the reason of this problem. The substrate.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Im spraying water every day but just the mulch and bark and not the top soil. The only part of the dirt where is wet is where the humidifier is.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420427116.799587.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420427129.233368.jpg
This is Dobby sleeping in Hedwig's bed.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420427173.574125.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420427186.258085.jpg
I didnt spray the dirt to keep a dry area for them.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Im spraying water every day but just the mulch and bark and not the top soil. The only part of the dirt where is wet is where the humidifier is.

View attachment 112898

View attachment 112899
This is Dobby sleeping in Hedwig's bed.

View attachment 112900

View attachment 112901
I didnt spray the dirt to keep a dry area for them.

That dry part looks pretty dusty, the rest looks fine. She might be getting that dusty part of the dirt in hers eyes and it's bothering her.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Is very dusty. Maybe I can just change it to repti bark do to the humidifier it getting that area very wet and is making a mess.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I don't think you have to remove the dirt, just spray it a bit. But adding bark wouldn't hurt, I use quite a big mixture of different stuff mixed together in my enclosures and bark - orchid (also known as fir bark) or cypress and dirt are in the mix I use. Also it should be fine if a little area is 'wet' but make sure your whole enclosure isn't wet because that can also cause problems for them.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I don't think you have to remove the dirt, just spray it a bit. But adding bark wouldn't hurt, I use quite a big mixture of different stuff mixed together in my enclosures and bark - orchid (also known as fir bark) or cypress and dirt are in the mix I use. Also it should be fine if a little area is 'wet' but make sure your whole enclosure isn't wet because that can also cause problems for them.
Well the area where the lamps are is where I spray the most and after 10 min the top layer is dry and the bottom is wet and is a mixture of cypress mulch and repti bark. The hides and the cave is "organic top soil" (i do not think it is) and that area I keep it dry to avoid shell fungus. I need something that can keep dry and dont create dust.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Well the area where the lamps are is where I spray the most and after 10 min the top layer is dry and the bottom is wet and is a mixture of cypress mulch and repti bark. The hides and the cave is "organic top soil" (i do not think it is) and that area I keep it dry to avoid shell fungus. I need something that can keep dry and dont create dust.

I use sphagnum moss in all my hides. I keep the moss more to the dry side and it doesn't seem to create any dust. :)

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I use sphagnum moss in all my hides. I keep the moss more to the dry side and it doesn't seem to create any dust. :)
I used sphagnum moss before but if I dont keep it moist it will become dusty too. Also here in Puerto Rico is very expensive.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I used sphagnum moss before but if I dont keep it moist it will become dusty too. Also here in Puerto Rico is very expensive.

Ah, okay. I have heard of some using coconut husk in their hides, I haven't tried that but I don't think the husks would get dusty.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Ah, okay. I have heard of some using coconut husk in their hides, I haven't tried that but I don't think the husks would get dusty.
I heard also coco coir. The problem here is that tortoise care is not very popular. I can only get somethings from petsmart or petco. The websites they say here that sells this stuff dont ship to Puerto Rico. So I have to improvise.