tortoise-friendly landlord in N. Central FL?

RainyDay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello,
This feels like a long shot but are there any landlords in here near the Gainesville, FL (Alachua County) area who would rent to a sulcata owner?
Unfortunately I've just separated from my partner and need to move out.
Thank you for your time in reading, and please, send me a private message for more information, if you have a rental available.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello,
This feels like a long shot but are there any landlords in here near the Gainesville, FL (Alachua County) area who would rent to a sulcata owner?
Unfortunately I've just separated from my partner and need to move out.
Thank you for your time in reading, and please, send me a private message for more information, if you have a rental available.
Sorry to hear of your separation.

It might help to state how large your tortoise is. That way, the potential landlords could better tell if the tortoise would be acceptable or not. Also it might be helpful to let them know if this would be for a short term or possibly a long term rental.

I have been a landlord and the above are a couple of things which would help me decide whether I could help the tenant or if they would be better off in another situation..

RainyDay

5 Year Member
Florida
Sorry to hear of your separation.

It might help to state how large your tortoise is. That way, the potential landlords could better tell if the tortoise would be acceptable or not. Also it might be helpful to let them know if this would be for a short term or possibly a long term rental.

I have been a landlord and the above are a couple of things which would help me decide whether I could help the tenant or if they would be better off in another situation..
Thank you so much for your response. Sulcata is 35 pounds. I am looking for 6 month lease or, possibly even less if the person was looking for a month-to-month tenant.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much for your response. Sulcata is 35 pounds. I am looking for 6 month lease or, possibly even less if the person was looking for a month-to-month tenant.
So it would appear that you will need a fairly understanding landlord who has a place with a well-fenced, decent sized yard or at least a yard where you will be able to provide your own fence for the tortoise. It may not be all that easy to find such accommodations.

How attached are you to the tortoise? I take it there are no custody issues going on regarding the tortoise? IE, your former partner doesn't want to keep it? Could you work out anything which would allow the tortoise to remain in its present home if you cared for it or would that be unacceptable to one or the other of you, or to both parties? Or is your partner possibly moving out as well?

Maybe you could find a fellow tortoise lover in FL who would care for it until you were able to find a place where you could keep it. That might be easier than trying to rent a place where you could keep it yourself.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

RainyDay

5 Year Member
Florida
So it would appear that you will need a fairly understanding landlord who has a place with a well-fenced, decent sized yard or at least a yard where you will be able to provide your own fence for the tortoise. It may not be all that easy to find such accommodations.

How attached are you to the tortoise? I take it there are no custody issues going on regarding the tortoise? IE, your former partner doesn't want to keep it? Could you work out anything which would allow the tortoise to remain in its present home if you cared for it or would that be unacceptable to one or the other of you, or to both parties? Or is your partner possibly moving out as well?

Maybe you could find a fellow tortoise lover in FL who would care for it until you were able to find a place where you could keep it. That might be easier than trying to rent a place where you could keep it yourself.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you very much for replying and for the idea about possibly finding a fellow tortoise lover to care for him for a few months. It's a lot to find an established 'tortoise-friendly' yard / landlord.

No issues over custody - he is mine. He cannot stay here.

I want what is best for him ultimately and, if that means finding a new temporary home for him, that may be what I need to do.

I'm hoping to keep him if possible, but may need to do that if I can't find anything.

I appreciate your response, thanks so much for taking the time to.