Russian Tortoise Fell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fushinka

5 Year Member
Hey guys. I have a Russian Tortoise that took a pretty big fall the other day. I had him outside on my balcony to get some sunlight (he loves going out there) and while I was outside watching him, I took my eyes away for not even a minute, and he climbed up the railing and fell down onto my neighbors balcony, about 10-12 feet onto pretty hard surface (please don't yell at me, I know I made a mistake and I'm already very upset with myself for letting that happen). So, I was horrified and I ran down to my neighbors apartment, told them my tortoise was on their balcony, and got the him. By the time I got to him (which was a few minutes after he fell), he did manage to get up and walk to the other end of the balcony. Which, I was so thankful he was able to walk and move. I brought him back my my apartment and let him rest. I gave him some food about an hour afterwards and he ate normally. I also gave him a bath and he drank and pooped normally. Since the whole ordeal, which was three days ago, he has been acting fairly normal, eating normal, drinking normal, digging normally, and the strength in his legs are still the same. His shell was not cracked at all either (thank God!)

However, there are a few noticeable issues. One, he did get a cut on his foot. It was bleeding a little, but I stopped the bleeding, put hydrogen peroxide on it, and used a liquid bandage to seal it up. I've been cleaning it twice a day since then with the peroxide and the bandage. It is a little bit swollen. But he does have strength in it and can move it, walk on it, etc. Any more advice on what I should do about the cut? Also secondly, he is sleeping a bit more than usual. Before, he was more active and was always walking around on the substrate. Now he seems to want to just eat, and sleep. He'll wake up after a few hours, find a new spot, dig, and sleep. I'm thinking maybe because of the cut on his foot, or maybe he's still a bit shaken up and maybe a bit sore/bruised?

I may sound overly concerned but, I just love this little guy. And I really cannot afford a vet, called 3 in my area and they all want way more than I have just for the visit. I'm hoping you all could give me some advice. I think he will be ok, overall he seems ok, but I would like some more opinions. And I want to make sure I'm dealing with his cut appropriately so it doesn't get infected.

I also posted some pictures so you can all see (one is of the balcony where he fell, one is just him out of his enclosure, and other is of him sleeping where you can see his swollen foot). Any feedback is appreciated, Thank you!

(FYI, learned by lesson about taking him outside. He's only going outside in his enclosure and I'm watching him like a hawk!)

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    631.8 KB · Views: 110
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 114
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 108
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 96

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Sorry you little one took such a fall. I would keep the foot cut clean, as your doing and keep a close eye on it for infection. I would also keep a close eye on anything out of the ordinary as far as eating, pooping, walking funny, etc. he may still be a little traumatized. Give it a couple more days and see if he acts better.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Oh you poor thing! And your tortoise too...Just reading your post, I would be beside myself too :( It sounds like your tortoise was very lucky! Like Wellington said, he is likely traumatized and needs a couple days to re-calibrate from his attempt at flying.

For the future, can you put up any sort of netting/fencing (like the small border fences at Home depot) along the parameter of the deck railing?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I feel so bad for you! Believe me - we've all made mistakes with our tortoises. I think you are treating him well. I agree that his foot is probably keeping him from walking around as much. Just keep an eye on him. Good luck and keep us informed.

Fushinka

5 Year Member
Hello! :) Thank you, I'm thinking the same thing, give it a few more days. Hopefully the swelling will go down.

wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) Sorry you little one took such a fall. I would keep the foot cut clean, as your doing and keep a close eye on it for infection. I would also keep a close eye on anything out of the ordinary as far as eating, pooping, walking funny, etc. he may still be a little traumatized. Give it a couple more days and see if he acts better.

Fushinka

5 Year Member
Hi! I agree he is very lucky! I nearly had a heart attack. Lol @ his attempt at flying :)

I do plan on putting up a fence, or possibly create an outdoor enclosure for him. He is definitely not going out again until something is done. Thank you for your feedback!

Pokeymeg said:
Oh you poor thing! And your tortoise too...Just reading your post, I would be beside myself too :( It sounds like your tortoise was very lucky! Like Wellington said, he is likely traumatized and needs a couple days to re-calibrate from his attempt at flying.

For the future, can you put up any sort of netting/fencing (like the small border fences at Home depot) along the parameter of the deck railing?

Fushinka

5 Year Member
Hi! You all are so nice and informative on this forum, its great. :) I will definitely keep an eye on him and keep you updated. Thank you!

kimber_lee_314 said:
I feel so bad for you! Believe me - we've all made mistakes with our tortoises. I think you are treating him well. I agree that his foot is probably keeping him from walking around as much. Just keep an eye on him. Good luck and keep us informed.

amanda712

5 Year Member
Southern CA
I would recommend not using the hydrogen peroxide like you are. It is actually the new science that hydrogen peroxide slows the healing process because it damages the new healthy skin that is regrowing. Wash it out daily with water, and put on some Neosporin. You might consider keeping him on Reptile carpet or newspaper until it heals as I'm not sure that getting all the dirt in it would be healthy either.

But as said before, we all make mistakes.

cally

5 Year Member
Omgoshh :( i can almost imagine your fear! He is sooo lucky! If it makes u feel bettter- ur post was very informational and the pics too! Good job mom! :) however ppl say not to use hydrogen peroxide because it will continue to kill the good bacteria for it to heal... Theres recommendations on this-
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372795239.933038.jpg
However in my experiences And the vets opinions is-
Peroxide is the best! Heals it up faster, and keeps out all the bad pathogens that could cause an uproar and then a vet visit will be needed. Instead of cleaning it twice a day- as long as his enclosure is dryer, clean, and has good ventilation- clean it only once a day to allow it to dry up, scab, and heal... You can also go to walmart or a drug store and find a blue small bottle called hibacleanse for like 5.00$ it has a white cap... Its comes out like a reddish color .. It works sooo good!! Just keep it clean and very dry! Dont use a bandage or liquid bandaid- ppl make that mistake by using liquid bandaid and seal up the wound and bad bacteria ... Allowing no air to it.... And for as the fall... If he is eating and pooping well and seems alert, then u dont have to worry for internal bleeding :) as for his sleepiness... He just fell off the grand canyon! And hes ok!! :) He is most likely sore, and a little banged up... If it continues and he seems lethargic then be worried... If the swelling doesnt get worse or warm to the touch, and theres no redness around the cut - then ur lil man is ok! :) your not a bad person- these unfortunate things happen :/ good luck and hope he heals well :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1372795193.741578.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1372795193.741578.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.