Tortoise enclosure questions

Tortellini2341

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi all! I am located in South GA. I currently have an outside and inside enclosure. Outside is under our screened-in patio, but next to the screen and inside is a 65-gallon tank. Our tortoise is a year old Russian ...

He loved the inside tank at first but now I find him scratching at the corners in the morning.. I try to keep him mostly outside and bring him inside at night.

My question is... If I decide to keep him outside and let him hibernate, what must I add to his enclosure? Does it need to be heated? Anything else I need to know?

He seems not the happiest inside unless he is getting a bath.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For about another year or so he should be in a closed chamber enclosure with high humidity to prevent pyramiding.
Brumating is what tortoises do, not hibernate needs to be done in a control temp, not temps that fluctuate. Mist do it in a frig or a basement closet that they know stays around the same temp.
@Tom can instruct further.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all! I am located in South GA. I currently have an outside and inside enclosure. Outside is under our screened-in patio, but next to the screen and inside is a 65-gallon tank. Our tortoise is a year old Russian ...

He loved the inside tank at first but now I find him scratching at the corners in the morning.. I try to keep him mostly outside and bring him inside at night.

My question is... If I decide to keep him outside and let him hibernate, what must I add to his enclosure? Does it need to be heated? Anything else I need to know?

He seems not the happiest inside unless he is getting a bath.
Take a look at these three threads. I think they will answer most of your questions:

Tortellini2341

Georgia
Take a look at these three threads. I think they will answer most of your questions:

Thank you for this info!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That aquarium is in the shade. But does the sun ever shine on it?
The sun can turn an aquarium into an oven very fast.
Be careful where it is located. I do not personally recommend using a glass enclosure outside