Tortoise enclosure ideas

TheSulcata

I am thinking about building a new tort enclosure for my sulcata. Any ideas? He is about 2 years old and almost 7 inches long

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Big! That guy is going to grow eventually, that's smallish for a 2 year old. We need to know the kind of space you have to work with before we can give you ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I make my outdoor enclosures with the tortoise's full size in mind. So, for example, when he's full grown, he's going to have this whole space, the whole yard. To that end, I fence off a smaller portion of that same yard with the intention and with the ease of just moving the fence as he grows, and eventually removing that portion of fence.

This is where my 110lbs male sulcata lives. It used to be fenced off at the front, and it was expanded by just removing the front portion. Now he has the whole yard, but he has to walk towards the camera to get around that dividing fence. Makes him think he has more space and gives him a lot more exercise:

Dudley's Yard 3-10-14.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The bigger the enclosure the better.:D Please keep in mind that these cute little animals are used to roam around in the wild wherever they like, without red lights/boundaries. ;) It wouldn't be "fair" force them to live in a small enclosure. This would only cause stress. :(

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Something big and outdoors! What do you have him in now?

TheSulcata

I have him in a tortoise table... I know it is bad, but that is what the people I get him from recommended, and they have a 13 year old sully. Is mine big enough to go outside yet? If not could I get some ideas for indoor enclosures?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have him in a tortoise table... I know it is bad, but that is what the people I get him from recommended, and they have a 13 year old sully. Is mine big enough to go outside yet? If not could I get some ideas for indoor enclosures?
Please post a pic of the said tort table. It might not be that bad.

TheSulcata

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482005857.601812.jpg

I covered it to try to keep it humid, he does not currently have a UVB cuz tom said the curly ones were bad, and I only needed to put him out in the sun an hour a day. (Although I can't put him out now cuz it is cold) also, I know it is small, and that is why I want to build a new one

TheSulcata

He is also mildly pyramiding, but I gott him that way (I think his previous owners wee inexperienced) his previous owners said they told me everything I had to do, but I am finding out so much more. They told me feed it lettuce, keep them together so they don't get bored, and keep them dry. I am kind of sad and looking for a way to improve my torts environment

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He is also mildly pyramiding, but I gott him that way (I think his previous owners wee inexperienced) his previous owners said they told me everything I had to do, but I am finding out so much more. They told me feed it lettuce, keep them together so they don't get bored, and keep them dry. I am kind of sad and looking for a way to improve my torts environment
Very inexperienced! sorry to have to say. :(

- lettuce is not enough, let alone that, it's 90% water: not very nutritious.
-torts are solitary animals and are NOT in need of company.
-keeping a tort dry would only cause dehydration and pyramiding.

So take care! ;)

Please give your tort DAILY soaks in warm water so as to stop the pyramiding where it is. And make sure that his enclosure is HUMID enough.

(No need to feel sad. You are not the one to blame, and 'm sure you are doing your best). :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 194964

I covered it to try to keep it humid, he does not currently have a UVB cuz tom said the curly ones were bad, and I only needed to put him out in the sun an hour a day. (Although I can't put him out now cuz it is cold) also, I know it is small, and that is why I want to build a new one
It's not at all as bad as you mentioned, and it's relatively big. If you have the space, then go ahead and make a bigger one.

Wishing you the best of luck!

TheSulcata

Thanks all of you!!!! Your so helpful!!! Just one more thing, is he big enough to be outside permanently?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
View attachment 194964

I see one dome, what do have for day time lights and night time heat?

TheSulcata

I told you that I have no UV light, but I am trying to get one, and I just raise my heat lamp at night. It stays around 90 right under the heat lamp and 80 everywhere else in day, while at night it is about 5 degrees cooler

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You can use a 65 watt flood until you get a UV light or even a household bulb that's not a coil. So is he just sitting in the dark in the enclosure all the time unless you get him outside. I realize you said you didn't have a UV. What are you using for heat lamp and is it on a thermostat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't use the curly bulb.

Can we see a picture of the tortoise?

TheSulcata

It is just a black no light reptile med heat lamp. Lemme get a pic. And it is not on a thermostat