Best wood for an enclosure

pagandoc

Location (City and/or State)
fort worth
Hello all,

New member to the forums, very informative over all. I am planning on building a new enclosure for our dalmatian hermann's tortoise, thinking of making it 40 in x 30-36 in. want to make it lite enough to move about and also wondering best way to hang UVB lamps above.

Look forward to your great ideas.

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello all,

New member to the forums, very informative over all. I am planning on building a new enclosure for our dalmatian hermann's tortoise, thinking of making it 40 in x 30-36 in. want to make it lite enough to move about and also wondering best way to hang UVB lamps above.

Look forward to your great ideas.
I’m assuming this is a youngster. The enclosure would be too small I think for an adult Herman’s. If you are looking for a light weight building wood...and is going to be kept indoors and not be exposed to the elements...I might go with “softwood” plywood with a liner ( although I have heard plywood can also emit vapor but I’ve never had issues using “softwood” indoors). There are other light woods like pine..but pine has oils that will release harmful vapor over time. As for hanging UVB lights or lights in general...on smaller enclosures...I use these...

Attachments

• A793C09D-878B-4AC4-ABFC-92CEFCDFF7A5.jpeg
    A793C09D-878B-4AC4-ABFC-92CEFCDFF7A5.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: