outdoor enclosure for 2 leopards

Marci

Hello! So before I was properly educated, I mistakenly bought 2 leopard tortoise hatchlings. I am now wanting to build them an outdoor enclosure but from what I am reading, they should not be housed together. Well now they are a year and half old and have been housed together since day 1. I am guessing they are both male, but I know its prob too early to tell. I figure now that I am building a new enclosure it would be the best time to separate them. So thats why I am here! Any ideas on how to build 1 enclosure but separate them? Or would I need to build 2 enclosures? They are about 7" long.

Also another question, how do I keep the enclosures from flooding in the rain? I am thinking of building one in our large planter. I live in Southern California so our weather is very mild, but last year we did have quite a bit of rain.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chesnee, South Carolina
Hello! So before I was properly educated, I mistakenly bought 2 leopard tortoise hatchlings. I am now wanting to build them an outdoor enclosure but from what I am reading, they should not be housed together. Well now they are a year and half old and have been housed together since day 1. I am guessing they are both male, but I know its prob too early to tell. I figure now that I am building a new enclosure it would be the best time to separate them. So thats why I am here! Any ideas on how to build 1 enclosure but separate them? Or would I need to build 2 enclosures? They are about 7" long.

Also another question, how do I keep the enclosures from flooding in the rain? I am thinking of building one in our large planter. I live in Southern California so our weather is very mild, but last year we did have quite a bit of rain.
I remember someone on here not too long ago with a big rectangle/ square enclosure. It was split in half with wood or brick and the night time box was also split in half so they could share like toms designs of night boxes. They planted a bunch of flowers and plants around it. It looked really nice! Geez wish I remembered who it was.. maybe they will know and can point you in the right direction.
@Markw84
@Yvonne G
@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Hi Marci! I would definitely build a divided enclosure for these two. Here is my version. It is plain and basic and gets the job done:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

Here is the version that is the benchmark and truly inspirational:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-outdoor-enclosure-for-limited-space.156371/#post-1486303

You will have to decide how much time and effort you want to put into it.

About the flooding: When it rained heavily last winter, did the area where you want to put your night box flood? I try to put mine in an area of higher ground, and I also rest the height boxes on pressure treated 2x4s that are laid flat, so there is an additional inch and a half of ground clearance in case of heavy rain. I run about 10 of these boxes all around my ranch and flooding had never been an issue for me.

Marci

Hi Marci! I would definitely build a divided enclosure for these two. Here is my version. It is plain and basic and gets the job done:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

Here is the version that is the benchmark and truly inspirational:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-outdoor-enclosure-for-limited-space.156371/#post-1486303

You will have to decide how much time and effort you want to put into it.

About the flooding: When it rained heavily last winter, did the area where you want to put your night box flood? I try to put mine in an area of higher ground, and I also rest the height boxes on pressure treated 2x4s that are laid flat, so there is an additional inch and a half of ground clearance in case of heavy rain. I run about 10 of these boxes all around my ranch and flooding had never been an issue for me.

Thanks for your response! I am building an actual enclosure for them to be outside (weather permitted) full time, with a night box as well. We rent our home and the entire lawn area has a sprinkler system so I wouldn't want to build something on the lawn. Here is what we have done so far. It is 4'x8' and will have poultry netting around it as well as a lid with hinges with poultry netting as well to keep predators out.The open area to the left without framing is where we will build a night box and place it inside. We are building 2 of these one for each leopard. They are on casters so i can move them under the patio if it rains. We were going to cut out holes in the floor and put screen to allow water to drain underneath it if it rains and also put the night box up on wood blocks and have a little ramp for them to climb up in case it rains as well. What do you think so far?

Attachments

• 483C8E3B-323B-4D07-97AB-FCA276BDC55D.jpeg
    483C8E3B-323B-4D07-97AB-FCA276BDC55D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29

Marci

This was sort of our inspiration. Also for heat bulbs for the night box, could these work?

Attachments

• AC3BB132-4CD5-4956-B451-ED20FC545DCD.png
    AC3BB132-4CD5-4956-B451-ED20FC545DCD.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 47D99D48-B42C-497B-93B2-192746ED1119.png
    47D99D48-B42C-497B-93B2-192746ED1119.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for your response! I am building an actual enclosure for them to be outside (weather permitted) full time, with a night box as well. We rent our home and the entire lawn area has a sprinkler system so I wouldn't want to build something on the lawn. Here is what we have done so far. It is 4'x8' and will have poultry netting around it as well as a lid with hinges with poultry netting as well to keep predators out.The open area to the left without framing is where we will build a night box and place it inside. We are building 2 of these one for each leopard. They are on casters so i can move them under the patio if it rains. We were going to cut out holes in the floor and put screen to allow water to drain underneath it if it rains and also put the night box up on wood blocks and have a little ramp for them to climb up in case it rains as well. What do you think so far?

You won't need the poultry netting for a 7" tortoise. Local predators usually won't mess with them at that size, and they will be locked up at night. If it is to keep your dog away, then you would need something heavier, like 1x2" welded wire.

4x8' is pretty small for a 7 inch, and growing, leopard tortoise. They really need more room than that.

I would not use the CHE for the night box. CHEs are not good for this application. They usually end up "slow burning" the top of the carapace. Either of the two other options in my links will work better, be more effective, and be much safer.

Marci

You won't need the poultry netting for a 7" tortoise. Local predators usually won't mess with them at that size, and they will be locked up at night. If it is to keep your dog away, then you would need something heavier, like 1x2" welded wire.

4x8' is pretty small for a 7 inch, and growing, leopard tortoise. They really need more room than that.

I would not use the CHE for the night box. CHEs are not good for this application. They usually end up "slow burning" the top of the carapace. Either of the two other options in my links will work better, be more effective, and be much safer.

I only saw the one option of the heater with the computer fan? Are you referring to a different link?